HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » Pennsylvania favors backg...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 01:32 PM

Pennsylvania favors background checks for gun purchases: poll

Source: Reuters

Pennsylvania favors background checks for gun purchases: poll

NEW YORK | Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:05am EST

(Reuters) - Gun control is generally a tough sell in Pennsylvania - a Republican-ruled state with a large rural population - but a new poll suggests strong support for some measures, especially universal background checks on gun buyers.

A Quinnipiac University poll released on Wednesday found that voters in the state support requiring background checks for all gun purchases by a margin of 95 to 5.

Six in 10 voters in the Keystone State also favor a nationwide ban on the sale of assault weapons, while nearly as many support a ban on the sale of magazines with more than 10 rounds, the poll found.

In the aftermath of the December 14 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School, where a gunman killed 20 first graders and six educators after killing his mother, New York approved a set of new controls and lawmakers in Connecticut are considering doing the same.

-snip-

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/30/us-usa-shooting-connecticut-poll-idUSBRE90T0IJ20130130

3 replies, 547 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pennsylvania favors background checks for gun purchases: poll (Original post)
Eugene Jan 2013 OP
Eleanors38 Jan 2013 #1
iiibbb Jan 2013 #2
SailorMike Jan 2013 #3

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 02:03 PM

1. The ban is unworkable, but the "universal NICS test" is okay

if Pennsylvanians can get it through their legislature.

Frankly, this is where gun-controllers can show their stuff, one state at a time. It's hard, arduous work requiring dedication, enough money, and time; the stuff of real political change.

Are gun-controllers up to it?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 02:10 PM

2. I think even if they made it voluntary many people would use it.

Shady sales will always be shady sales... but any time most people sell to an unknown buyer they would probably opt for a background check if it were free.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 07:55 PM

3. I would

I would use it voluntarily for people I don't know personally.

Friends and family, not so much.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread