HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Pets (Group) » Bear was attacked by a do...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 12:30 AM

Bear was attacked by a dog at the dog park today.

It was short yet intense, but the other owner got her dog under control, and Bear seemed fine, if a little shaken. He wasn't limping, there was no blood, he was slimed head to toe from early play before the mean dog arrived but a pat down didn't seem to indicate any pain. He walked back to the car fine, he hopped in the car fine. I stopped at the local buffalo farm and bought the dogs some bones and they both ran out in the yard with them and chewed 'em right down.

About supper time (an hour or two later) Bear came in and laid down, which is weird because usually you can set your watch by his meal time demands, but I figured he was sated by the bone. Honey was still out with her bone; I had to chase her around the yard to get her in the house to feed them. Bear was walking around without apparent pain, waiting for me to fill the dish. He ate without incident.

After dinner I gave Honey her bone back and Bear seemed... put off. I figured this was due to bone envy, so I went out in the yard and found his, completely stripped clean. Brought it in anyway, gave it to him, he seemed uninterested. I thought he was being bratty, wanting Honey's bone, so I went and started dinner prep.

About 15 minutes or so later I noticed he wasn't on the couch, his customary after dinner lounging place. I looked and found him in the bedroom, sitting somewhat stiffly and looking miserable. Honey started sniffing around him and I realized he was still slathered in the (now dry) spit of the dog that attacked him. I brought in a washcloth to wipe him down and that's when he gave a little yelp of pain.

Closer examination shows a puncture mark in the "webbing" between his leg and his tummy. I feel so bad I didn't see it when I first checked him! Now he seems to have pain moving. He's not limping, but he definitely doesn't want to get up or down much, and couldn't bring himself to climb that 1.5 feet onto the couch. I'm thinking it's mostly just bruised - doesn't feel like there's any internal swelling, and he doesn't give any pain indication except at the wound site. Still, he's very lethargic and doesn't want to get up, even to greet my SO when he came home from work. We gave him an aspirin and it seems to have relaxed him enough so he can sleep, but I'm very worried about him - and my ability to pay any kind of extensive vet bill. This is the second time a dog's attacked him unprovoked in three months! I'm worried as much for his mental health as for his flesh wound.

Anyway, we'll see what it looks like in the morning. SO thinks we should wait a couple days and see if he acts less bruised. I am a basket case and want to be at the vet's door the second I can get in there tomorrow. For now, all I can do is wait until morning. It's going to be a loooong night for mama.

Thanks for listening!

39 replies, 1922 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 39 replies Author Time Post
Reply Bear was attacked by a dog at the dog park today. (Original post)
intheflow Feb 2013 OP
Stinky The Clown Feb 2013 #1
intheflow Feb 2013 #11
Stinky The Clown Feb 2013 #12
2theleft Feb 2013 #2
intheflow Feb 2013 #10
KC Feb 2013 #3
intheflow Feb 2013 #9
jtuck004 Feb 2013 #4
intheflow Feb 2013 #7
jtuck004 Feb 2013 #17
intheflow Feb 2013 #19
jtuck004 Feb 2013 #20
intheflow Feb 2013 #21
jtuck004 Feb 2013 #23
intheflow Feb 2013 #25
TorchTheWitch Feb 2013 #5
intheflow Feb 2013 #6
TorchTheWitch Feb 2013 #30
intheflow Feb 2013 #31
pecwae Feb 2013 #8
roody Feb 2013 #13
intheflow Feb 2013 #14
KC Feb 2013 #15
intheflow Feb 2013 #22
roody Feb 2013 #16
intheflow Feb 2013 #18
Stinky The Clown Feb 2013 #26
intheflow Feb 2013 #27
Stinky The Clown Feb 2013 #28
intheflow Feb 2013 #29
Walk away Feb 2013 #24
intheflow Feb 2013 #32
Stinky The Clown Feb 2013 #33
TorchTheWitch Feb 2013 #34
intheflow Feb 2013 #35
KC Feb 2013 #37
livetohike Feb 2013 #36
intheflow Feb 2013 #38
roody Feb 2013 #39

Response to intheflow (Original post)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 12:43 AM

1. All of ours have had such incidents and all have survived just fine. That said, we dutifully . . . .

. . . . haul their hairy selves off to the vet for a quick check.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Stinky The Clown (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 10:26 AM

11. That's good to hear.

My vet opens later in the afternoon (he does mobile vet clinics and humane society work in the morning) so I'll probably be bringing him in then.

Reply to this post

Response to intheflow (Reply #11)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 10:31 AM

12. Dogs are pretty resilliant creatures . . . . .

If the wound was going to be problematic, it would be so already (24 hours hence). Assuming you gave it normal human-like care (washing, neosporin or some such cream, etc.), the dog is probably going to be just fine. Dogs are capable of withstanding bites better than we are. They're not immune, but they do better than us. I don't know that a vet visit is mandatory. I almost think it serves to make us feel better. We DO pamper them.

I hope it all goes well for you.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 12:44 AM

2. My boxer pup was attacked by a german shepherd

In the middle of a snow strom at 10:00 at night. Grrrrr...

Emergency vet because like you I was FREAKED out and she was only 5 months old and the wound looked HUGE on her tiny little leg. They gave her a shot to numb the area, cleaned the wound, and gave her some antibiotics as a precaution. Poor thing screamed the entire time - I'm not so sure it hurt as bad as she made it seem, she was just so scared. She was not herself for several days - I think it was more the trauma verses the pain - seemed scared even of my other dog for a few days.

Keep an eye on it. Evidently infection is the main concern with bite wounds. If you haven't done it yet, flush the wound and keep it clean. Do not bandange it or cover it - that is the one thing they told me for sure not to do. Stay alert for signs of infection if you wait a few days to see what happens.

I'm so sorry that happened to your poor baby. I'm hopeful he is feeling better tomorrow. Give Bear an extra ear scratch from me, please. Or a hug. Or maybe both.

Reply to this post

Response to 2theleft (Reply #2)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 10:24 AM

10. Bear received your hug and sends you a tail wag.

He's such a good dog, just loves the loving even when in pain.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 01:02 AM

3. I'm so

sorry to hear that happened. I think that is one reason I just don't take mine to the dog parks. You just never know and plus you don't know if the other dogs at the park are up to date with their shots, etc.
I would also flush it out and probably put some Neosporin ointment or similar stuff on it to try to keep it from getting an infection.
I like you don't have much money to spend at the vet but at the first sight or redness, swelling or pus I would get him in asap!

Reply to this post

Response to KC (Reply #3)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 10:23 AM

9. I'm having a problem this morning

getting him to lie on his side so I can get a good look at it. He seems okay, winced a bit as he walked down the hallway to breakfast. Honey greeted him with a sniff to the injured area. But they'e both gone back bed after breakfast and the cubby/closet where he sleeps is too small and dark for me to see much of anything, even with a flashlight. His vet doesn't open until 2pm (they vet for the local humane society and mobile vet clinics in the mornings) so he's got some time to kick back and make his way out to the living room again. Going back to bed is their SOP, so nothing disturbing about that.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:03 AM

4. There could be something internal. You would probably

see some sign of bruising or discoloration, though it could take a day or so.

If you can, you might want to at least take him in and let the vet set your mind at rest.

Dog parks are notorious for stuff like this, so we don't go there. I think they are a great idea in theory, but in practice there are so many ways for them to get hurt that it outweighs the good, I think. We limit ourselves to dogs we know, and take them for a visit on occasion in a private yard. I am pretty sure they enjoy that as much as they would a larger area.

Reply to this post

Response to jtuck004 (Reply #4)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 04:18 AM

7. I would love to have some doggie playdates for Bear.

But the only dogs we know in a 60 mile radius are chihuahuas and toy poodles and they aren't interested in playing with 65-lb Bear, nor is he particularly interested in playing with them. I live in a very rural, very conservative town, don't have much to do with any of my neighbors so we haven't met anyone nearby who we could have dog dates with. It's one of the reasons we got Honey, but I'd also like to have her socialized, hence, this recent trip to the dog park.

ETA: The possibility of internal damage is what scares me most. I'm up at 2am to check on him; he didn't come to bed with us last night and I awoke terrified he might lay dying on the living room floor. Grateful to learn he finally rallied himself into the bedroom and onto his dog bed at some point, but now I'm stuck awake in full insomnia mode.

Reply to this post

Response to intheflow (Reply #7)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 01:22 PM

17. How's Honey Bear doing? n/t

Reply to this post

Response to jtuck004 (Reply #17)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:10 PM

19. She's confused as to why I drove away with only Bear

and returned without him. But she'll catch on when we go to pick him up.

Reply to this post

Response to intheflow (Reply #19)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:14 PM

20. Sorry, I meant Honey and Bear.

So did you take him to the vet?

Oh, sorry, read the other post finally. $475. ouch.

Do they think there is something broken inside, or is that just to clean the wound and do xrays?

Reply to this post

Response to jtuck004 (Reply #20)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:16 PM

21. Yeah, see my post, below.

Reply to this post

Response to intheflow (Reply #21)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:29 PM

23. Ouch. Well, hopefully that's going to take care of it, no

long term damage.

There is a sign on the park near here, basically says you are on your own, makes trying to recover expenses from another owner futile, though it would be good to know that they are up to date on vaccinations.

I hope Bear's ok.

Reply to this post

Response to jtuck004 (Reply #23)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 05:24 PM

25. I posted a flyer at the park today asking the owner to step forward.

She seemed pretty decent, took the dog out of the park immediately but returned within 5 minutes (her friend was at the park with her), so I think she probably lives in that neighborhood. It's two towns over from where I live, but we don't have a dog park in my town, so I decided to check out theirs. How big is my regret? Very large, indeed.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 04:01 AM

5. This is why I don't take my dog to dog parks

Especially with unleashed dogs. There's no way to know the level of training of the dogs there or the competency or attitudes of their owners. I think the concept was well intentioned people particularly in areas where there really isn't any open space to walk/play with your dog, but I think it's obvious what can and does frequently go wrong.

Good read about dog parks...

http://leerburg.com/dogparks.htm

On Edit: Ack! I hit the post button before I was done!

Anywho... I'm so sorry that Bear got hurt. Hope it's not too bad and the neither he nor you have any traumatic effects. That must have been really frightening.

Reply to this post

Response to TorchTheWitch (Reply #5)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 04:14 AM

6. I've been taking him to parks throughout the country

for as long as I've had him, almost 7 years. At least once a week. Never had any problem until now. The other dog attack recently was a dog off-leash in their own unfenced yard charged Bear as we were walking by on the sidewalk. I'm just wondering why these attacks are happening now. Is it because he's getting older? He's still very vital at 8-ish, in excellent physical condition, but that's the only thing I can think of. Other than more and more idiots who know nothing about dogs are adopting dogs. I mean, I guess their hearts are in the right place, but ferchrissakes, learn how to control your dog or don't take them out in public!

Reply to this post

Response to intheflow (Reply #6)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 08:18 PM

30. Oh, I know what you mean

All the time when I take my dog for a walk there's some boob with an unleashed dog or uncontrolled dog that hops their fence or kids running up to my dog wanting to play with him while their parents just stand there like ding-a-lings, etc. It SUCKS. You've been really lucky so far that some uncontrolled aggressive dog hasn't charged at your dogs before now. This isn't a problem with Bear at all, it's a problem with other yahoos with uncontrolled dogs and stupid owners that you've just been lucky to have not encountered until now. Really, you've just been really lucky that you've gone for so many years without this problem before. For a lot of us it happens all the time and it's soooooooo irritating! I swear I'm going to start carrying pepper spray on my walks with the dog from now on.

Reply to this post

Response to TorchTheWitch (Reply #30)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 08:56 PM

31. self-delete

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 06:14 AM

8. Poor Bear!

I hope he starts healing and feeling better.

I used to take mine to a local dog park, but the entire time I was there I'd be so emotionally wound, ready for an altercation, that I had to stop. It was no fun for me being on edge and there were some close calls. Especially worrisome was my 14 yo. There would be no way for him to defend himself if attacked.

Luckily, we now have a large fenced yard. Sometimes I'll take my younger boys with me on a hike, but no more dog parks.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:46 AM

13. Is he on antibiotics now?

I paid 400 for care after a puncture (bite) wound abscessed. Would have been 100 or less had I gone to vet immediately.

Reply to this post

Response to roody (Reply #13)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 12:01 PM

14. We have an appointment in a couple hours.

Earliest I could get. It does look like it's starting to abscess - pus is gathering around the edge - but I don't think it'll take much to clean it at this point. Just walking in the office is going to cost me $55, but I'm hopeful the whole shebang won't run me any more than $150. It's not to the leaking point, and Bear is keeping his tongue away from it.

Reply to this post

Response to intheflow (Reply #14)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 12:08 PM

15. Please

let us know how he makes out at the vet and what he says! I hope he won't need anymore than a round of antibiotics to feel better!

Reply to this post

Response to KC (Reply #15)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:17 PM

22. I posted an update in the thread, below.

Update sucks, sucks, sucks.

Reply to this post

Response to intheflow (Reply #14)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 12:28 PM

16. I paid 385 actually. My dad calls

it tuition at the college of dumb decisions. It was 4 days after the bite. Hope Bear heals quickly.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:09 PM

18. Dear God, the bill could be as high as $575!!

The first bill they gave me was even higher (almost $800!), but they scaled it back when they saw all the blood drain out of my face. Still. The low estimate is $425. Mother of Christ, that's about what I bring home for two weeks of work! Thankfully my boyfriend makes decent money and left me $350 in cash on the counter for the visit. The real pisser is that my regular vet would probably run at least $200 cheaper but they couldn't see him until Saturday and with the wound abscessing I couldn't wait that long. Still, I'm sitting here weeping caught between loving Bear and wanting to help him and having to borrow money from my boyfriend (I hate being indebted to anyone). And fucking kicking myself to the curb for not getting the other dog owner's information!

Reply to this post

Response to intheflow (Reply #18)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 05:34 PM

26. Oh MAN! That's awful.

I feel so bad for you. And for Bear.

Clearly I underestimated the degree of seriousness in my earlier post. I'm sorry.

Reply to this post

Response to Stinky The Clown (Reply #26)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 05:50 PM

27. You and me both!

They had to put a drain in him. Not even sure what that is, but won't really know until I pick him up in about an hour and a half. Feels really weird to be home, on the couch with my laptop, without him lying beside me. I can't wait to get him home so I can set some good belly rubs on him.

Reply to this post

Response to intheflow (Reply #27)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 06:00 PM

28. The drain is a tube that they put inside the wound to allow fluids to drain off rather than . . . .

. . . . build up inside. Long story short, it means a pretty good injury.

He may not feel in much of a belly rub mood for a little bit. He'll tell you when he's ready. Is the wound where he can get to it with his mouth? If it is, he may also be sporting a Cone Of Shame.

Reply to this post

Response to Stinky The Clown (Reply #28)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 06:06 PM

29. Oh yeah, cone of shame is already listed in the bill.

He's had to wear them before. No wound or illness has ever impeded his desire for belly rubs. It's what allowed him to relax enough to actually sleep last night. Not vigorous rubs, mind you; he's pretty content with a hand on his belly gently stroking his chest. Belly rubs are Bear's equivalent of comfort food.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:35 PM

24. Poor Bear! Sorry buddy. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 08:58 PM

32. The end of the ordeal/beginning of the healing:

Internal and external stitches plus a drain inserted;
antibiotics, anti-inflammatory and pain killer meds;
the indignity of having to learn how to navigate our small home wearing the Cone of Shame.

Total cost: $460.
Having Bear home and healing: Priceless.

Thank you all for your encouragement and support. It's really meant a lot to me.

Reply to this post

Response to intheflow (Reply #32)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 09:17 PM

33. Right back atcha

Give Bear a belly rub for me . . . . . then point at his Cone and give a supportive giggle and then a wink.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 07:44 AM

34. Priceless indeed

You know you would have spent your last dime for him if that's what it took. At least it was a bit less than the estimate. Hopefully Bear will heal just fine with no lasting effects and be as good as new again.

Do you think maybe you could get reimbursed from the people that own the dog that attacked Bear? Might be worth a try, but I realize that doesn't seem to go well a lot of the time.

Sending healing vibes to Bear and anti-stress vibes to you!

Reply to this post

Response to TorchTheWitch (Reply #34)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 07:53 AM

35. TTW, that was my last dime.

Literally. I have enough money to buy gas for work until my next paycheck in a week and a half. I would not have been able to afford it at all if my boyfriend hadn't pitched in $300. Luckily I have plenty of food in the house.

I didn't get the owner info at the time of the attack because Bear seemed fine and didn't exhibit any pain indicators until 5 hours after the attack. I've posted a flyer at the dog park asking her to come forward, but it would be a miracle if they do.

Reply to this post

Response to intheflow (Reply #35)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 09:12 PM

37. I'm so sorry but thankful

that he's going to be ok and that he's home. I know I always worry about something happening to
either my dog or cat because it is just so expensive to get them treated!
I hope that other dog's owner will come forward and offer to help some!

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 08:19 AM

36. I'm so sorry this happened to Bear and all of the worry you have gone through

He will heal up fine and be back to normal in no time.

Reply to this post

Response to livetohike (Reply #36)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 08:36 AM

38. Thanks, livetohike.

He's doing remarkably better already, wagging his big butt big time every morning.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:27 AM

39. Glad that Bear will be okay.

Thank goodness dogs are priceless. What a tough financial hit.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread