HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Pets (Group) » Tonight my sweetie and I ...

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 09:42 PM

Tonight my sweetie and I took the foster we cared for over the weekend back to shelter, 2+ years old

Part Lab, Pittie, and Chow (the black tounge) We pulled her out because we all thought they were going to be snowed in and would be unreachable for a day or two so the shelter was emptied and we bought This beautiful girl home for the weekend.

She weighed 45 pounds and you could see her ribs, completely dog and cat friendly, even with one of the kittehs biting her ears when she came over while he was in my lap, wee wee pad trained, crate trained and a complete mush.

She LOVED to sleep in the bed more than anything. My sweetie's little guy taught this baby girl how to eat treats, chew a dental bone, walk with us on a leash. I think she didn't know how to be a dog since she was pulled from an abusive family down South. And not a bark once all weekend.

I hope she finds a forever home this week otherwise she's going to be fostered long term.....

by us.

Tanks for reading.

27 replies, 2701 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 27 replies Author Time Post
Reply Tonight my sweetie and I took the foster we cared for over the weekend back to shelter, 2+ years old (Original post)
DainBramaged Feb 2013 OP
Curmudgeoness Feb 2013 #1
CurtEastPoint Feb 2013 #2
intheflow Feb 2013 #3
glinda Feb 2013 #4
DainBramaged Feb 2013 #10
hamsterjill Feb 2013 #13
Lucky Luciano Feb 2013 #14
DainBramaged Feb 2013 #15
Lucky Luciano Feb 2013 #16
thucythucy Feb 2013 #5
lucca18 Feb 2013 #8
2naSalit Feb 2013 #6
juajen Feb 2013 #7
lucca18 Feb 2013 #9
get the red out Feb 2013 #11
Auntie Bush Feb 2013 #12
Myrina Feb 2013 #17
KC Feb 2013 #18
DainBramaged Feb 2013 #19
DainBramaged Feb 2013 #20
hamsterjill Feb 2013 #21
DainBramaged Feb 2013 #22
DainBramaged Mar 2013 #23
Behind the Aegis Mar 2013 #24
DainBramaged Mar 2013 #25
DainBramaged Mar 2013 #26
eShirl Mar 2013 #27

Response to DainBramaged (Original post)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 09:46 PM

1. Make sure to publicize how great she was in a home.

She sounds wonderful. I hope she finds a forever home that will love her as much as she should be.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 09:46 PM

2. Fostering is a noble calling. You did well. Thank you.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:44 PM

3. Thank you for fostering!

I don't think I could ever do it, every animal I fostered would become a permanent family member. It takes both a loving soul and brave heart to foster.

That being said... I'll be interested to hear updates, including whether you become her forever home.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:46 PM

4. No kill shelter right? You should adopt her. She is lovely.

Reply to this post

Response to glinda (Reply #4)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 08:08 AM

10. Never ever kill shelter, under any circumstance.

41 dogs adopted out last week.

10,000 dogs and cars are euthanized daily across the US while over 50,000 people a day look for a pet.

The math makes no sense.

Until NO-KILL is the law of the land, we'll never be whole.

Reply to this post

Response to DainBramaged (Reply #10)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:15 AM

13. +1 million!!!!

Until NO KILL is the law of the land, we will NEVER be whole!!!!

Reply to this post

Response to DainBramaged (Reply #10)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 12:37 PM

14. Well those 50000 are looking for multiple days

...while the same animals are not being euthanized on multiple days (maybe the ones with nine lives?). So the math can make sense. Though all animals should be adopted. Ridiculous not to adopt.

Reply to this post

Response to Lucky Luciano (Reply #14)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:06 PM

15. It amazes me you would even question the math and 'read' so cavalierly...

Just look up the No Kill Coalition

It isn't multiple days. If you were part of the soultion you'd understand the problem.

Reply to this post

Response to DainBramaged (Reply #15)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 03:01 PM

16. Can't possibly roll my eyes at you more.

I am a pit bull adopter.

By multiple days, people looking for a pet do not look for one day. It took us a month or so to find our match.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:48 PM

5. My sweetie and I adopted a "Dixie Dog"--rescued from a southern kill shelter.

He was a beautiful black labrador retriever who had obviously been neglected and abused as a pup and younger dog. Once he got over his anxiety around us (he was always anxious around new people, until he got to know them) he had the sweetest, most gentle, most goofy and playful disposition. Was wonderful around children, and let other dogs a fifth his size boss him around something awful.

But for the first four to six months or so we had him he cringed at every noise, and would slink his way around the house, head down, tail between his legs. Our vet told us his startle response came from being kicked as a puppy. He was underweight, even after being fostered, and so very sad.

It is one of my proudest achievements that we were able to turn our boy around, so that the goofy, playful (and always ravenous!) inner dog could finally shine through all his human induced anxieties and phobias.

After eight wonderful years we lost our dear boy a year ago this January, after a very sudden and unexpected illness.

Dogs ask so little of us. Really, all they want is a modicum of safety and comfort and stability, and affection they are willing to repay a hundred times over.

Best wishes to you and also to your canine companion.

And thank you for making his life that much brighter.

Reply to this post

Response to thucythucy (Reply #5)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 12:44 AM

8. Thank you for sharing your story.

How lucky you both were to have each other in your lives.
What a wonderful dog!

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 12:08 AM

6. Awww

She's beautiful. Thank you for fostering her! I too hope she is given a forever home soon.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 12:29 AM

7. Oh, she is so precious. I love.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 12:47 AM

9. I hope she finds a wonderful home!

She deserves a happy life filled with love.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 08:28 AM

11. What a doll-baby!

Simply adorable. I hope she gets in a situation where she is SPOILED ROTTEN.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 10:59 AM

12. I hope you keep her so we'll all know she's found a good home

and will never again be abused or starved. You're a sweetie yourself for fostering her.
Good luck! You deserve a heart but I don't have anymore.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 03:42 PM

17. Bless you ... fostering is an adventure, isn't it?

I've been a foster for nearly 5 years. Over a dozen babies have spent time at Camp Lisa - some as little as a week, some nearly a year. They all took a blankey & their favorite toy with them when they moved on with their adoptive families.

I cried when each and every one left & still get update emails/photos from them in their new lives.

2 of my fosters became permanent pack members: Max, the Blue eyed Boxer/Catahoula who went to the Bridge last weekend, was pulled from a high kill shelter (his person decided to relocate & not take him with. WTF is wrong with people like that??). Max decided within about 48 hours that he was never going to leave my house & became fast friends with elderly Bubba Ray LaBeagle, my #1 Dog Hank and was a welcoming playmate to the other foster kids that came thru the house. Not a mean bone in his body.

Porty P Bear was also pulled from a high-kill shelter and unfortunately had several strikes against him: huge (Chowbrador), black, older; he was a barn dog who likes to kill small critters, didn't really know how to act inside a house, and has chronic ear infections. But as long as you don't try to steal his food, or don't look/smell like a rodent, he's the biggest teddy bear ever. I realized after fostering him for a few months that he had totally lost his hearing from the infections not being treated by his previous a-hole owners so we started working on hand-signals (and he began to look to Max for cues). One afternoon Bear was on the floor alongside the sofa where I was laying watching a movie & he rolled on his back & swatted up at me as if to say "Hey woman, scratch my belly!" I decided then & there that he was home.

It can be frustrating, exhausting, thankless and heart-breaking to be a foster parent, but it's also the most rewarding thing in the world.

I tell people that while teaching them how to 'be part of a family', each of my fosters has taught me a life lesson about trust, adaptation, learning how to love and how to start over ... and for someone as emotionally closed-off as I am, that's been huge.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 06:02 PM

18. I think

she found her forever home with y'all!
(I hope)

Reply to this post

Response to KC (Reply #18)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 06:35 PM

19. wE TOO

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 10:30 PM

20. An update

Misty found her forever home this weekend. If she hadn't, we were hoping to foster her again for longer. But happily she is home asleep in her new family's bed.

Fly sweetie fly. We hope we never see your beautiful face again.

Goodnight.

Reply to this post

Response to DainBramaged (Reply #20)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 02:04 PM

21. Yay!!!!!!

Love the happy endings!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 09:13 PM

22. SWEETIE IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, she was adopted by a family with a 1+ year old. Claimed she snapped when the baby tried to take her bone.

We and the agency know better.

NO food aggression, no anger, fear, you can BITE HER EARS LIKE OUR CAT DOES and she doesn't even react. The little guy and her share food bowls and treats.

They simply wanted a smaller dog and couldn't admit to their mistake.

So she's being fostered by my sweetie again and will be found a good home with ADULTS who want a great dog who have older children or had a dog before.

Stupid people shouldn't breed.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 4, 2013, 06:17 AM

23. A very happy ending

After spending Saturday at an adoption event without anyone showing interest, at the very end a Senior couple came and showed a lot of interest in her. A meet and greet was set up for Sunday, she passed with flying colors and she went to her new forever home.

In an email last night her new family said she spent two hours by the door and looking out the window waiting for my Sweetie to come back after she left.

Saying goodbye was tough, but we'll have visiting privileges........... one of the great dogs I've known.

Reply to this post

Response to DainBramaged (Reply #23)

Mon Mar 4, 2013, 06:25 AM

24. How wonderful!

I don't know how you do it. I really don't. I am glad people like you exist because otherwise there would be a shitload more pet hoarders, abandoned animals, or destroyed ones.

As for you other comment, "Stupid people shouldn't breed.", I so agree to that...most of the time (I know some really stupid people who bred and, despite their stupidity, produced some wonderful people).

Thank you for being a kind heart toward animals!!!

Reply to this post

Response to Behind the Aegis (Reply #24)

Mon Mar 4, 2013, 07:38 AM

25. This one was hard to give up

she was grateful to be home. And she LOVED car rides. She'd stand on the back seat with her front feet on the console and look out through the windshield. The first time she was afraid, so I think she never had car rides before.

There will be many many more. One from last week was adopted. He was a crazy Jack Russell mix who liked cas. Go figure. He was with us for one night and was adopted at the event the following day.

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 5, 2013, 09:55 AM

26. I think she is happy with her new Daddy!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Response to DainBramaged (Reply #26)

Tue Mar 5, 2013, 12:55 PM

27. yay!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread