HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Pets (Group) » Honey has taken to barkin...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:26 AM

Honey has taken to barking very obnoxiously.

She stands in the middle of the backyard, facing north, and barks and barks and barks, pretty much in the same pattern:

Arf! Arf arf arf arf!
Arf! Arf arf arf arf!

Over and over and over. My boyfriend noticed it Saturday when I was at work, said she did it for hours and wouldn't come when she was called. He tried spritzing her with a spray bottle but she refused to stop. She did it for a bit yesterday morning before we headed out to do errands. This morning, she's doing it in 15-minute spurts, then coming in and crashing for 15 minutes, then back out again to repeat the cycle.

Anyone have any idea what's up with this? She's getting long walks, so there goes Caesar Milan's theory. Any idea how to curb this behavior before the neighbors come after us with pitchforks?

13 replies, 1254 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply Honey has taken to barking very obnoxiously. (Original post)
intheflow Feb 2013 OP
Voice for Peace Feb 2013 #1
Stinky The Clown Feb 2013 #2
intheflow Feb 2013 #3
intheflow Feb 2013 #4
Phentex Feb 2013 #5
retrogal Feb 2013 #13
TorchTheWitch Feb 2013 #6
Voice for Peace Feb 2013 #7
intheflow Feb 2013 #8
TorchTheWitch Feb 2013 #9
intheflow Feb 2013 #10
KC Feb 2013 #11
CountAllVotes Feb 2013 #12

Response to intheflow (Original post)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:37 AM

1. wild guess, based on 101 dalmations.. something's up that only the neighborhood dogs know about

and they're communicating across the lands..

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Voice for Peace (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:42 AM

2. I would actually agree . . . . but not quite so mystically.

Our dogs bark like that when there is a strange animal nearby. When we first encountered Mr. Fox after moving here, they did that a lot. Now, they don't even bother with much more than a perfunctory half bark.

Reply to this post

Response to Stinky The Clown (Reply #2)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 12:06 PM

3. She *is* barking in the general direction of known skunks.

I also wonder if she's not "howling at the moon," doing some kind of doggy scream therapy to help her process everything that's happened to her in the last three months. I'm sort of hoping she'll just get tired of it. You give me hope this might happen, Stinky.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 12:07 PM

4. Ah, but that was Twilight Barking.

This happens all day long!

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 05:30 PM

5. That's funny! We always call it

An All Dog Alert when we hear this in our neighborhood. I'm pretty sure they called it something like that in the movie.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 04:33 PM

13. That happens here lol

The two dogs down the road will start barking, then as they stop my dog starts in. Then he'll stop and the cows start doing their noises. Sometimes it goes back and forth. I am guessing some animal is crossing through the woods.
Some nights even the coyotes pitch in.
My dog is mostly an indoor dog but when he wants out at night he will bark at what I guess are possums.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 06:13 PM

6. with the neighbor's dog I had good luck with the sonic egg

I got it at Petsmart...

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11751275

My next door neighbor's dog barks his brains loose when he's outside non-stop for HOURS. The sonic egg shuts him up, but the next time he's put outside I have to do it again. It works with him only fairly well since I have to do it secretly and can't really do any training with it since he's not my dog. I don't know if it works on every dog or not. Some have said it doesn't work that well on larger sized dogs, but he's a big Bull Mastiff and it does work on him. Maybe it just depends on the dog regardless of size. Might be worth a try though especially since it's cheap.

I REALLY hate excessive barking. It's nice when dogs bark a few times on occasion if they have a reason, like someone at the door or walking past their yard when they're outside, but just barking on and on for no reason at all drives me batty. None of my dogs barked excessively, but I think that has more to do with their breed... Akitas just tend to be silent and aren't into giving warnings by barking or even growling. My first one would bark a couple of times if someone rang the doorbell, but Boo never did and neither does Yoshi... which does kind of suck because where I live now has no doorbell, and if I'm upstairs I'm not likely to hear someone knock.

Reply to this post

Response to TorchTheWitch (Reply #6)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 06:23 PM

7. in this NM neighborhood, many dogs run free. there's a teeny tiny little gang of chihuahuas

who run up and down the streets a couple of times a day,
and get all the dogs barking behind their fences.
Most yards have at least one barker.

Most days and nights bring extended bouts of neighborhood
barking, but it comes from every direction, not any particular
yard or dog.. naught to be done so... I have just learned
to love it. there's those barking dogs again, right on schedule
I figure they must have their own reasons.
(All the loose dogs are friendly & have owners.)

Reply to this post

Response to TorchTheWitch (Reply #6)

Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:35 PM

8. How did it affect your dogs?

Bear is getting a bit fed up with the pup, really seems to be wondering why the hell we got her. When we go out walking and I give her orders on leash behavior, he falls right in line and look hurt as if I'm correcting him. I don't want to use a sonic pitch to stop her if the sound is also going to "punish" him. Do your dogs react negatively when you use this on the neighbor's dog?

Reply to this post

Response to intheflow (Reply #8)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 05:07 AM

9. That was one thing I was worried about

It has no effect if Yoshi is inside, but if he's in the yard since our yards are tiny and we share a fence with the barking beast it did worry me how Yoshi would react. Apparently, you have to be within a 15 foot range of the barking dog for it to be effective anyway. I've used it many times with Yoshi right there (he always wants to be outside when Bubba the Barking Beast is outside, too), but he doesn't seem to care a wit about it. He looks at me for a second when I activate it, but that's about it. But Yoshi is oblivious to certain sounds that seem to get other dogs barking or howling like the volunteer firefighter siren or when other neighborhood dogs start barking their heads off for no reason. Just recently though he started howling when someone's car alarm would go off but only if the offending car was relatively close and he was outside... if he's in the house and one goes off in a car on the street out front he doesn't care and that's usually louder since those cars can be a lot closer than the ones in the back lot. Whenever he howls at a car alarm (our yards back into a commercial property parking lot that's always full during the day) I just open the back door and tell him "Quiet!", and he looks at me like I'm spoiling his fun and shuts up.

The sonic pitch isn't painful or anything... it just gets their attention. That's probably why it works well for some dogs and not for others... if a dog is really focused on their barking and think their barking is more important than the sound it probably doesn't work for them or work in those cases where for whatever reason a dog becomes really focused on barking. I think that's all it really is... a device that is more likely to get their attention more than other attention getters like telling them to be quiet or whatever in order to redirect the bad behavior and learn that excessive barking is a no-no.

Bubba clearly doesn't like the sound it makes, but he's sensitive to strange or new sights or sounds... he reacts to the sonic egg the same way he reacts to one of the neighbors' cell phones ringing or buzzing on vibrate - he just doesn't like it.

I like the sonic egg better than those collars that make a sonic sound whenever a dog wearing one barks because you get to decide what barking is a no-no since there ARE times you would want the dog to bark. I think it's much better as a training tool so that the dog learns how much barking is too much and when and what to bark at is ok and when or how much is not ok.

If you're concerned about how Bear would react to it I would suggest that before using it on Honey to get Bear at least 15 feet away from you before you use it so it doesn't effect him at all. Like, if Honey and Bear are outside and Honey starts doing her barking thing, take Bear in the house first and then go right up to Honey and active the sonic egg and command her to be quiet. Eventually she's get it that excessive barking is a no-no and also to learn the command to be quiet.

Just so you know, I found the instructions in the booklet rather confusing but discovered that in order to do a controlled zap you press and hold in the button for at least ten seconds. If you only do it for a few seconds a couple of minutes later the device reactivates itself and stays on until you turn it off by holding in the button for at least ten seconds. I think it was a stupid way to design the thing, but that's how it works. I killed a lot of batteries until I figured that out. By the way, it doesn't come with batteries, so you have to buy them separately.

I'm thinking of using it on Yoshi for other training things since although it clearly doesn't bother him, it DOES get his attention for a couple of seconds which is really all that's needed to redirect to something else whatever their naughty behavior is.

Reply to this post

Response to TorchTheWitch (Reply #9)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:23 AM

10. Really good info, TTW.

Thanks! The reviews were all over the place so your personal experience is very helpful. I think I'll try it!

Reply to this post

Response to intheflow (Reply #10)

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 06:20 PM

11. I have one of the

sonic eggs too. My dog absolutely hates it! When he barks and it's on he runs around the corner and starts shaking. I did find though that after about a week of using it (and I don't use it when I go to bed for the night) I just turned it off and he didn't know it but still didn't bark. Once he starts barking though and realizes its not on then I let him see me turn it on and it stops him again. There are 2 kinds though one is a hand held one and the other is a big one that you hang up which is the one i have. I'm in an apartment though so I can't be getting complaints from the neighbors!
If you get it from Pet Smart you have 60 days to return it so that's nice. I did lend mine to someone and his dog didn't seem to react to it at all. I don't know if it's a range thing or if his newly adopted dog might be a little deaf.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 01:19 PM

12. Maybe Honey is sick?

Perhaps a trip to the vet?

I know when my cats were sick/dying they were moaning away. I had no idea they were doing this because they were really really sick.

I still hate myself for not realizing it sooner. Stupid stupid me.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread