HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Pets (Group) » when or what age did you ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 12:00 AM

when or what age did you start letting your puppy run the house at night.

Our male boxer is almost 3 and has been given free roam since he was a little over 1.

Our female boxer is almost one and occassionlly still pees on the floor and still ges in to things. We made a dog bed and it is at the foot of our bed. She sleeps in there most nights all the way but we ahve to remember to keep the door shut so she doesn't find a midnight couch to destuff.

4 replies, 724 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply when or what age did you start letting your puppy run the house at night. (Original post)
sad-cafe Jan 2013 OP
hobbit709 Jan 2013 #1
2theleft Jan 2013 #2
Stinky The Clown Jan 2013 #3
Myrina Jan 2013 #4

Response to sad-cafe (Original post)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 06:52 AM

1. All ours had free reign from day one.

It never took them more than five minutes to figure out how to use the dog door to the back yard.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 11:03 AM

2. It has always depended on the individual dog with me...

My first dog as a grown up - Scout...she passed away last year at 16. She was a rug eater. She was crated until about 1.5 because she would get into things. At about 1.5, I kept her crate set up just in caseand started letting her sleep in the bed. It took her a year before she would willingly sleep in the bed all night. For that first year of freedom, she would start out on the bed and then go get in her crate in the middle of the night.

Chance - he's almost 6. I attempted to crate him from day 1 home from the shelter. After about 2 hours of non-stop crying, I put him in the bed with me. He has never left. He was crated if I was not home. He was pretty good about not chewing things, but until I was confident of his pottying habits, he stayed in the crate for the first year if I was gone.

Carly - the boxer baby. She is 3. She started out in the bed at night. Slept basically on my head. Still does at 70 lbs. She was crated if I wasn't at home, but she was a DREAM puppy. Only pottied in the house like twice, and never chewed anything up except for a shoe of my boyfriends. Oops. She was crate free at about 8 months old.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 11:36 AM

3. We confined our Shih-tzu for a few months after we got her.

She was under a year, an adolescent, but not a puppy. She learned fairly quickly from the two older dogs. She still has the occasional transgression, but overall, she's fine. Apart from the transgressions, she's caused no other problems.

She sleeps every night in a crate with the door closed. That is her choice. She goes in on her own and cries unless the door is closed.

edit to add: We have had no other puppies. All ours (including the Shih-tzu) have been surrenders or true rescues.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:43 PM

4. Key word here being "let" ....

.... haha, my ACD Hank escaped from every crate I ever tried to contain him in. I'd wake up in the morning or come home from work to find crate doors mangled, crate vents chewed through & the house in total disarray - tp unrolled down the hall, plants dug up, even kitchen cabinets open & box-goods chewed through & strewn across the kitchen. Oh yeah and poo piles.

Once I stopped trying to train him & realized that he was smarter and much more willful than I'll ever be, and just let him have free-reign, the destruction stopped & he basically slept on the sofa all day & at my feet at night. I think he was about 6 months old.

Little ninja f*cker. 14 years later and I still him to pieces.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread