HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Pets (Group) » Today was so cold that th...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 11:15 PM

Today was so cold that the Tinies had to play inside (video) arf!

15 replies, 1141 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Walk away (Original post)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 12:21 AM

1. It looks like they

have so much fun there. I know they love being outside but better to keep them in when it's so cold !

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to KC (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:55 AM

4. They go in and out all day but this week the outs are shorter! nt

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 05:25 AM

2. My client pooches will be doing a lot of hall walks through their buildings this week.

Reply to this post

Response to smokey nj (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:58 AM

5. Are you a pet sitter too?

I used to be a walker before I got into training, socializing and doggie day care. I really miss my walking days (except on the hots and colds).

Reply to this post

Response to Walk away (Reply #5)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:16 AM

7. I am. Most of my clients live on the waterfront in Jersey City.

Doggy coats and sweaters help make the bad weather days bearable. Two winters ago it was really rough because the snow. It was hard on me and hard on the dogs.

Reply to this post

Response to smokey nj (Reply #7)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 12:01 PM

9. Hey! Most of my clients are in Harmon Cove in Secaucus so I walked the river front too!

It was like walking around a big park with beautiful trails all day but the winter was cold. Luckily the miles of trails were plowed by condo maintenance. I live in Bergen County now but still have someone who walks my clients when I need them. I mostly specialize in Little Dogs and improving behavior these days.

Reply to this post

Response to Walk away (Reply #9)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 02:38 PM

12. Hey neighbor! I used to work in Secaucus, in SYMS corporate offices.

The view from my "office" is the NYC skyline - it's GORGEOUS! We haven't been able to walk along parts of the waterfront that were destroyed by Sandy's storm surge.

I'd like to learn how to train, and probably will someday if I get my lazy ass in gear. I follow the owner's lead when it comes to training to keep things consistent for the dogs. I work for someone else at the moment but if I ever decide to break out on my own, I'll definitely go for dog training certification.

Reply to this post

Response to smokey nj (Reply #12)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 02:59 PM

13. I started by taking my lazy clients dogs to training classes for them...

good thing to because I was in an accident and couldn't walk dogs anymore. It took a while but I built a whole new business on the ashes of my old one and I'm doing twice as well. That's why I specialize in little dogs now and even that worked out to be a better business. I work with a wonderful behaviorist who sends me clients for basic training and socialization in my home. I LOVE it!

It's funny. I just had a call from a young woman in Wallington looking for advise on setting up a pet sitting business and I spent 20 minutes giving her my start up advise. I always say "the more the merrier".

Reply to this post

Response to Walk away (Reply #13)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 03:06 PM

14. That's one of the things I love about this job. I've gotten to know a lot of walkers/sitters who

work the waterfront and everybody's so cool. There isn't any cut-throat competition and everyone respects each other's relationships with clients. I've even had another walker who works solo ask me if I would be interested in covering their clients while they were away. You don't find that cooperation in many other areas. It's just more proof that pet people rock!

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:53 AM

3. Really like the 'teddy killer' in the black and green sweater. Do all little dogs have

to wear sweaters to keep warm? I've never had a dog that weighed less than 35 pounds.

Reply to this post

Response to sinkingfeeling (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:04 AM

6. They really do. These guys are between 5 and 10 lbs and hypothermia...

is a problem. Although, my 24 lb Henry the Cairn (see my icon) can jump in a chilly lake and run around chasing rabbits without a shiver. He was made for it!

The Tiny Ones go in and out all day through the doggie door so they have to keep snuggly.

The Teddy Killer is Captain the Yorkie. He is an agility champion.

Reply to this post

Response to Walk away (Reply #6)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 02:17 PM

11. Tiny agility dogs are mind-blowing

I like watching them fly around a course like little jet-powered powder-puffs.

They are all just precious. You have my dream-career. I look so forward to lunch every day when I can play ball a few minutes with Layla. We live in a townhouse so don't have a yard per se, can go into the green space though if we are with her.

Reply to this post

Response to get the red out (Reply #11)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 04:32 PM

15. My neighbor has a half size agility course that is just adorable!

Her Yorkies are mini mites!

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:09 AM

8. I want to be a dog and play at your house

I soooo love that tube!

Reply to this post

Response to TorchTheWitch (Reply #8)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 12:03 PM

10. That's a cat play tube I found on sale at Marshalls! I stuff it with toys and balls and....

some Milkbone Minis and the go to town!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread