HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Pets (Group) » Boxers are not on the vic...

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 11:15 PM

Boxers are not on the vicious dog list. We have an 8 foot privacy fence. Today neighbor threaten

to take our dogs head off because he is a vicious dog. He also said we are not abiding by the leash law for Vicious dogs.

Even tho we are fenced in and they are rarely outside alone, our neighbor is convinced that our dogs are going to harm him. My better half being the softie she is says that we should talk with them and let them meet so maybe the anxiety will subside. My thought is a bit different than that. He threatened my dog. I am a bit irritated. The better half says it is best to not make an issue of the situation. We have been here over twenty years and we really don't want to have a neighbor war. Me, I want to go over and settle it.

My other half pointed out that the neighbor might just be afraid of bigger dogs. Could be, but he is not making any Friends.

23 replies, 2949 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 23 replies Author Time Post
Reply Boxers are not on the vicious dog list. We have an 8 foot privacy fence. Today neighbor threaten (Original post)
sad-cafe Jan 2013 OP
elleng Jan 2013 #1
sad-cafe Jan 2013 #2
elleng Jan 2013 #3
BainsBane Jan 2013 #4
sad-cafe Jan 2013 #5
jtuck004 Jan 2013 #6
sad-cafe Jan 2013 #7
sad-cafe Jan 2013 #8
jtuck004 Jan 2013 #10
2theleft Jan 2013 #9
sad-cafe Jan 2013 #11
2theleft Jan 2013 #12
sad-cafe Jan 2013 #13
LisaLynne Jan 2013 #15
roody Jan 2013 #14
2theleft Jan 2013 #16
Walk away Jan 2013 #17
Curmudgeoness Jan 2013 #18
ceile Jan 2013 #19
Myrina Jan 2013 #21
shenmue Apr 2014 #23
sad-cafe Jan 2013 #20
jtuck004 Apr 2014 #22

Response to sad-cafe (Original post)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 11:24 PM

1. I agree with 'better half,'

try it and get it off your mind. Making a fuss without neighbor meeting Boxer would do NO good, imo.

Good luck.

Neighbors had Boxers, and daughters grew up thinking Boxers are THE dogs to have; younger daughter has one now.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to elleng (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 11:38 PM

2. we have two. They are the nicest sweetest dogs

but they do howl at the moon. And apparently strangers. They would never hurt anyone intentionally. They do jump and do the kidney bean wiggle when I get home from work. They could knock someone over to lick their face in a friendly way. They are fun dogs and great for families with small kids. Or empty Nester's like us. Sometimes it is like raising toddlers all over again.

Reply to this post

Response to sad-cafe (Reply #2)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 11:46 PM

3. Yes, daughter's Boxer, for whom I 'sat'

along w 2 other dogs recently, while daughter out of town, COULD have knocked me down. Fortunately she paid attention to me! She IS a big baby, 'cries' when Julie comes or goes.

Reply to this post

Response to sad-cafe (Reply #2)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 11:49 PM

4. If she's afraid, she just needs to not walk too close to the fence

If they don't bite anyone and aren't causing a disturbance by barking for extended periods of time, there is nothing she can do about it. Some people are afraid of any big dog, and have no idea how to read a dog's body language.

Reply to this post

Response to BainsBane (Reply #4)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 12:03 AM

5. its the man that is afraid

we have never talked to the wife.

I totally agree that it is the fear driving their anger.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 12:15 AM

6. Take your boxer to basic obedience class. It will be good for you, and

you will pick up tips on how to no longer let the boxer charge the neighbor or bark at the neighbor through the fence, or whatever is in said neighbor's head. I am speculating here, but you don't know what is in their background. I went through a drive through, and the kid almost vomited because he was so scared that I even HAD a dog next to me. The dog just wanted my french fries.

I know, I don't know the situation. But I have heard a thousand of these calls, so just guessing. But there is an amazing amount of hysteria out there, the kind that gets well-meaning people hurt, much of it directed at the wrong threat. People die every day because of that. For many cities killing a dog is not even an afterthought. (Thus why we can keep killing millions every year).

Unless your city is very progressive your dog will lose nearly any confrontation, even in court. (The boxer has any required tags/permits and up-to-date vaccinations, right?). We kill 4 to 5 million cats and dogs every year in a vain attempt to keep from doing (spay/neuter, education) what we need to do. That means in a court, even if you have a very good attorney, your chances are about as good a coal miner in Leadville in the day of Mother Jones.

It can cost you a lot of money, and heartache. Just watched someone lose their appeal to a higher court on a dangerous dog ruling, provoked entirely from the outside, inside his own fence, no damage, witnesses on his side. Owner is out several thousands of dollars, dog in a kennel in his own yard, and that was the only thing that kept him alive. Guy is selling the house, of course. At a loss, of.course, but he cares more about his dog.

I AM on your side, btw Please don't think a silly argument over a dog can't go this way. They just have to start calling. What I am suggesting is good for your own personal fitness, your relationship with the dog, and will demonstrate to the neighbor and any civil authority that you are making the effort, and your neighbor thus looks like an unreasonable ass who should perhaps see a psychologist, if neighbor makes no effort.

One should abide by the leash law. It's there to protect everyone. Saw a dead older dog in front of a house on Christmas Eve, gal sobbing over his body. "He NEVER runs out, and the cars don't go that fast". Dog still dead. Pretty terrier mix, old friend, apparently. In a crosswalk.I helped them find a tarp to move him off the street since she couldn't.

But you are closer, and know the situation better, so do the smart thing for all of you.

Good luck.

Reply to this post

Response to jtuck004 (Reply #6)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 12:44 AM

7. We are going to do the class.

The leash laws in our city say they can't be on a leash/chain/tether for more than 2 hours at a time. When they are in their fenced in back yard they are out there less than 30 minutes at a time unless we are BBQing or enjoying being outside. The leash law he is referring to is having them contained. Inside our fence they are contained. We regularly spot check the fence to make sure it is solid so there is no worry there. When we do take them from home to vehicle, they both are leashed as well.

I really think my better half is right and that the neighbors are just afraid of them since they are big in size. What he needs to understand is that they are big in heart as well.

Reply to this post

Response to sad-cafe (Reply #7)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 12:54 AM

8. oh and they are up to date and current on anything necessary from the Vet

every test, shot, preventative ever mentioned we do.

These puppies are like our children. Our kids sometimes joke that we take better care of the puppies than we did them. They just don't remember all of the ER trips in the middle of the night for ear infections and things of that nature.

Reply to this post

Response to sad-cafe (Reply #8)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 02:06 AM

10. Yeah, same for us. <G>. Good Luck. n/t

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 01:50 AM

9. Boxer on dangerous dog list. Just the thought of that

makes me laugh and laugh.

My 3 year old boxer is the BIGGEST baby. Never met a stranger she doesn't love. Is scared of little box turtles that wander into my yard on occassion.

Now, she would lay on you and MAYBE smother you with kisses.

Your neighbor is an idiot. Clearly. I do get that some people are not dog people and therefore have no clue about dog "language".

My neighbor, the house behind me (we have some woods in between), so not directly behind, will yell at my dogs if they bark. "Shut your GD dogs up", throw sticks towards my fence, etc. They don't bark much, and typically only if there is a deer, squirrel, etc. in the woods. But they would bark at his grouchy a$$. Finally, after the 5th time he did that, I leashed both dogs up, marched over to this house and told him that his yelling and his aggression towards the dogs was making them bark. I had taken treats. Asked him to give each one after they sat.

They don't bark at him anymore, and he doesn't yell at them. But, he still just doesn't like them.

GRRRRRRRR. Mean people suck.

Reply to this post

Response to 2theleft (Reply #9)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 02:14 AM

11. See, that is what my better half things should happen

then it will all be better.

I am a bit more cynical

Reply to this post

Response to sad-cafe (Reply #11)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 02:22 AM

12. well, i mean, the guy is still an ass

he just has stopped antagonizing the dogs.

My boyfriend wants to pay him a visit, but I keep talking him out of it, much like your better half. I am clearly the better half in my relationship

Tell your neighbor to lay on the ground and let the boxers kiss him. Repeatedly. For like an hour.

Reply to this post

Response to 2theleft (Reply #12)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 02:33 AM

13. that is really all they would do. They are very friendly and have no enemies

they think that anyone coming to visit means coming to visit them.

Reply to this post

Response to 2theleft (Reply #9)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 01:44 PM

15. Yeah, that's laughable.

I love Boxers. Maybe they look mean to some, but their faces are so expressive, I don't know how anybody can miss the LOVE ME PET ME LET ME DROOL ON YOU look that they give you. People are so stupid.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 11:35 AM

14. If you manage an introduction,

dogs and neighbor, you can show him how obedient and compliant the dogs are. Winning over the neighbor is in your nest interest.
A dog's barking can be very scary. My own goofball startled me with an enthusiastic bark the other day.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 02:41 PM

16. My prior neighbor, in a different neighborhood, many years ago

was a very tiny, elderly lady. She was scared of my dogs, but came to me to tell me and ask if she could "meet" them with me there. I wasn't aware that she was scared, so I really appreciated her reaching out to me verses being uncomfortable. My yard was fenced in, but if she was in her backyard, she was always scared they would jump the fence and get to her...It was a 4 foot chain link fence. I said absolutely, would love for you to meet them and I'm so sorry you have been scared. At the time I had a chocolate lab (love muffin, 100 lbs) and a corgi mix (again, love muffin). So, she came over. I let her in. Dogs were excited, but not jumpy excited, just wiggly excited. I asked to stand still, let them sniff her. I held her hand and kept the dogs somewhat calm while they sniffed her. Then I gave her their favorite snack to give to them. I asked to tell them to sit, which she did. They sat. I told her to say "EASY" while handing each the treat. She did. They took the treat gently from her hand, and from that point forward they were best buds. She even started buying treats for them and would make them sit and do little tricks for her across the fence. Just knowing they would listen to her made her so much more confident and from that point forward she was in love.

Now, my current neighbor that I mentioned earlier...he's just an ass. He met them, they behaved, didn't matter. He just doesn't like them and I guess doesn't think anyone should have a dog. I feel like if I don't keep an eye on him that he would potentially harm them. I never let them outside unless I'm home for this very reason.

I do think that you should go over and talk to your neighbor. Try to keep your temper reigned in, but let him know that you feel like he threatened you/your dogs. Ask how you can come to a mutually agreeable solution (i.e., like what you are doing with the dogs supervised, never running around the neighborhood off leash, ensuring the fence is well maintained so they can't get out, etc). Ask him to explain to you what the problem is. Ask if he would be willing to meet you dog not through the fence so he can see that he is not a viscous dog. You will be able to tell if he is really scared or just an ass. Then you will know how to respond. Neighbor wars suck, but you have not done anything wrong and this guy is not being rational.

Good luck.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 05:58 PM

17. She is so right. Do whatever you can to kiss up to your neighbor unless...

you want to move or live with a negative situation for the rest of you life.

I know it sucks but if you let it go and turn the situation around you and your dogs will be happy and that's what counts. Plus then your excellent wife get's to say "I told you so!"

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 02:02 PM

18. Why not invite the neighbor over for one of the BBQs?

Or invite him just to meet the dogs first? I have had neighbor problems in the past, and you do not want to live like that. I think that the more the neighbors know you and your dogs, the less they will be nasty. At least, that is the best first step. Your better half is right.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 02:35 PM

19. Why is everyone saying be nice to the neighbor?

He threatened physical harm to the dogs. I'd be very wary and have as little contact w/ the nut job as necessary.

Reply to this post

Response to ceile (Reply #19)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 12:45 PM

21. Seriously. I'd call the cops.

And file a report that the nutball threatened me/my property (dogs) and then let him know that the cops are aware & should anything happen, his name is first on the list.

I'd also make sure I was with the dogs whenever they are outside, preferably with a cam-corder running, and find high-profile places to walk/exercise the dogs so there are 'witnesses' that can vouch that they are NOT vicious should he ever decide to complain to authorities.

Reply to this post

Response to Myrina (Reply #21)

Sun Apr 6, 2014, 08:26 PM

23. I would too

Harassment is illegal.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 06:14 PM

20. Thank you all for the advice

We are going to introduce our dogs to the neighbor during walks this week. Hopefully we can get some peace over this.

Reply to this post

Response to sad-cafe (Reply #20)

Sun Apr 6, 2014, 07:08 PM

22. So how did it go? n/t

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread