HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Pets (Group) » Looking to get a cat.

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 04:42 PM

Looking to get a cat.

Any breeds I should avoid especially with a rambunctious kid? I want the cat to be a good mouser and loves to sit on my lap while I read DU? And knows to leave or ignore my wife.

15 replies, 1265 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply Looking to get a cat. (Original post)
Panasonic Dec 2012 OP
Angry Dragon Dec 2012 #1
LunaSea Dec 2012 #2
Panasonic Dec 2012 #7
applegrove Dec 2012 #3
ginnyinWI Dec 2012 #4
hamsterjill Dec 2012 #5
ginnyinWI Dec 2012 #6
Panasonic Dec 2012 #8
hamsterjill Dec 2012 #12
Panasonic Dec 2012 #9
Curmudgeoness Dec 2012 #10
CountAllVotes Dec 2012 #15
Sanity Claws Dec 2012 #11
BainsBane Dec 2012 #13
TorchTheWitch Dec 2012 #14

Response to Panasonic (Original post)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 04:49 PM

1. Good luck getting a cat to do what you want .............

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 05:04 PM

2. Get yourself a Maine Coon

I can't say enough positive things about this remarkable breed.
Intelligent, good hunters who are perfectly happy hanging out and watching what you do.
The males remain goofy and playful long into adulthood.
Then there's the trilling...

http://mainecoonadoptions.com/aboutmainecoons.html

Reply to this post

Response to LunaSea (Reply #2)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 06:30 PM

7. My sister has two Maine Coon cats

that actually hissed at my son. Never seen that cat actually do that as my son came nearby. They were very sweet with me though.

I just hope cats doesn't have long memories or visits to Chicago may be infrequent...

But if it can grow up and get along famously with my son, maybe.

I'm concerned if they are high maintenance - they have such long hairs - love the bearded look though - makes them look wise!

I've always wondered which cats works best with Deaf and hearing people in the house?

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 05:04 PM

3. If you want a lap cat, let the kitten sleep on you for several hours each day.

I did that with one of my cats and he was so bonded with me it was great. I didn't do that with the next kitten I had, I sent her to visit my dad as a kitten, and though she sleeps on me and lets me hold her, she doesn't want to sit on my lap. I also inherited two older cats. One was obviously not handled at all as a young kitten and to this day does not want to be touched (though she sleeps right beside my dad) and I got a two year old from the vets who was a lap cat. Sometimes it is better to get an older cat from the pound so you know what you are getting.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 05:19 PM

4. Look for...

a relatively calm cat, but not one that hides under a chair and won't come out. You want friendly and secure.

If you get a cat who is at least 9 months old, preferably over a year old, you will know what kind of personality it will have. Kittens--hit or miss.

I don't think you can just say "tabby" or "long-haired" and get a particular personality. Each one is different. But in my experience, more of the long-haired cat tend to be a bit more high-strung and fearful. But maybe not all.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 05:27 PM

5. Please check your local rescues and shelters!

Please check with your local rescues and no kill shelters. Most have Facebook pages and webpages showcasing the pets available for adoption.

When you adopt from a rescue or shelter, you actually save TWO lives. You save the life of the one you take home with you, AND you make a space for that rescue or shelter to save another one.

Thank you for opening your home to a new kitty. Once you have the perfect companion, I wish you many, many happy years together.

Reply to this post

Response to hamsterjill (Reply #5)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 05:52 PM

6. Amen to that! n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 06:33 PM

8. Of course.

I don't buy pets. I want to adopt - and we have the well-known Denver Dumb Friends League nearby that we can visit. I love their cattery as well. And a lot of cats to look through that loves to paw through the holes.

http://www.ddfl.org

Reply to this post

Response to Panasonic (Reply #8)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 10:18 PM

12. That is awesome!!

Glad to know that a lucky shelter kiddo will have a terrific new home with you.

Another advantage of adopting through a rescue or shelter is that the adoption counsellors generally KNOW the pets very well, so they can help you pick the perfect personality that will work well in your environment.

Again - my sincere thanks!!!

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 06:45 PM

9. Also Rocky Mountain Feline Rescue

Just contacted them already

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 06:52 PM

10. It sounds like you would do best with a "domestic short hair",

which is a Heinz 57 mix and the short hair means less maintenance than the long hairs, which will need to be brushed daily.

If it were me, and I had a child that the cat would also have to get used to, I would visit local shelters and rescues with my child. You will find that many cats have problems with children. But you will see the perfect cat when you see one of them who will interact with the child, as well as the personality. I ended up with my current cat because I went to visit a cattery at a rescue and he came right up to me and gave me a head butt.....and I was sold. You will know if you see enough cats.

Reply to this post

Response to Curmudgeoness (Reply #10)

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 12:22 AM

15. yep

I agree. I've had many cats in my life and the best ones to get that require the least amount of care and seem to live the longest is the American short hair (aka Heinz 57) cat.

I have one cat left now and she is a grey tabby tuxedo cat that is an American short hair and she is a very smart and very loving cat.

I never got the ooohs and ahhs when I got her as she was a frail and sickly kitten with a broken tail that no one wanted (local shelter is where I got her). However, she's grown into a fine cat and is a most loving companion.

I had a Maine Coon for awhile and he was a menace to the neighborhood. I loved him a lot but a lot of other people did not. He ended up being taken to an animal rescue as the neighbors were trying to off him sadly. He had so many things going it was unbelievable! He was smart and funny but wow, what a mean cat he could be. He really was a one person cat I'd say; not particularly a cat for a child I would think.

So, yep, I'd say a Heinz 57 American short hair is a good pick for a good cat that will likely live a long time as they are known to live the longest of any cat breed out there, even a Siamese which can live to be very old as well. I had two of those that died this past year. The only thing I don't miss with the Siamese cats is that sometimes quite horrid yowling in the middle of the night.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 09:37 PM

11. Go to a rescue group

Rescue groups tend to place cats in foster homes. The foster parents can tell you a lot about the cat's behavior and personality.
I know because I foster cats for a local rescue group.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 01:30 AM

13. If it's mother is a good mouser their off spring should be too

I don't know about cat breeds, but my aunt had an ace hunter. She put three bells on this cat and it still killed birds. All of the kittens she had, that remained in our family, were amazing mousers too. I have the impression that female cats are better hunters because their instinct is to get food for their kittens.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 12:30 PM

14. I think you'd be better off getting a rescue

A cat that already has a known personality so you can pick out one that has the qualities you're looking for. Although I'm not certain about the ignoring the wife part. LOL!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread