HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Pets (Group) » Question for any vets...W...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 05:52 PM

Question for any vets...What would be a good gift for a 13yo wanting to be a vet?

I would like to get her some books or something similar, but I don't even know where to start.

6 replies, 683 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Question for any vets...What would be a good gift for a 13yo wanting to be a vet? (Original post)
Behind the Aegis Dec 2012 OP
jtuck004 Dec 2012 #1
Curmudgeoness Dec 2012 #2
Sunlei Dec 2012 #5
Curmudgeoness Dec 2012 #6
irisblue Dec 2012 #3
Sunlei Dec 2012 #4

Response to Behind the Aegis (Original post)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 06:45 PM

1. Get the kid a day working in a vet's office on surgery day, one that will let the kid

Last edited Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:35 PM - Edit history (1)

not just watch but maybe hand her/him things while doing surgery. Might be worth more than any book.

If they are too worried about liability you are in the wrong office. Ask another. (Just a thought - quicker to write than do, but maybe worth trying).

This is from an effort the people in the area put together, the two people on the left are just civilians, never a day in a surgery b4 this one. We had a couple hundred kids, as I recall, (we won't do this without them) and a couple are still talking about it. This was in the school gym.

You can ask while you are there about what might be good to read..

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:32 PM

2. I am not a vet, but

my degree is in biology. A microscope might be a cool gift for a 13 year old who is interested in being a vet...lots of science involved in getting there.

Reply to this post

Response to Curmudgeoness (Reply #2)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 12:07 PM

5. just noticed your post, a great suggestion :)

Reply to this post

Response to Sunlei (Reply #5)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 09:09 PM

6. Great minds! :)

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 11:14 AM

3. vet anatomy models?

I just googled it, many options out there, under $30 and it's gonna be part of the job. I would have loved a human skeleton at that age (now an xray technologist)

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 12:05 PM

4. a decent microscope, some basic supplies and a basic book how to stain slides & what to look for.

Theres a lot she can learn do right away with a microscope. small blood sample, learn how to do blood counts see heartworm larva, fecal check for worm eggs, ear smear to diagnose yeast or bacteria.

could even get her some culture dishes, she could grow things and test what antibiotic is usefull.

Not a toy microscope, a college Vet student quality microscope. Perhaps ask at a Vet college. Pretty soon to,she could start one at a time of the basic college courses needed and get those out of the way early.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread