HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Pets (Group) » Doggie with a Headlight -...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 11:27 PM

Doggie with a Headlight - and the other dogs seem to be laughing at her . . . .

As you may know, we've been dealing with our GSD rolling in fox urine and scat. The most likely time of offense is after dark when the material is fresh and we can't see the dog getting ready to roll. We have a big yard and even with motion activated floodlights, there is plenty of "dark" out there.

Enter . . . . . The Headlight.

Actually, it is an ordinary LED flashlight with a pocket clip. Pretty much like this one.

We turn the light on and clip it to the dog's collar before letting her out. With this on, she can be seen wherever she is in the yard. We can now watch her, see when she gets ready to roll, and tell her not to.

I discovered this out at the barn property where there are no floodlights and far too much land for them to have much effectiveness anyhow. That tiny little light on a dog's collar makes them noticeable, even in brush a good distance away.

The funny thing is, the dogs don't seem to notice they're wearing one, but they notice them on each other. Lately, here at the house, the little Shih-tsu has taken to jumping up at the GSD's head at snapping at her when she has the light on. Its a riot. It is as if the little one is saying: "Nya nya, You can'd be trusted. You're a poopy head." The GSD just takes it and moves on.

I love these dogs. They're a never ending series of entertaining events and interactions!

Tomorrow the little one goes to the groomer. When she comes back all fluffy and sweet smelling, the other two are all over her. She gets the same treatment she gives the GSD when she has her headlight on.

Anyway . . . . seriously . . . . this notion of a light on the dog's collar seems a good way to keep track of them when it is dark and they need to be out.

7 replies, 1029 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Doggie with a Headlight - and the other dogs seem to be laughing at her . . . . (Original post)
Stinky The Clown Nov 2012 OP
jtuck004 Nov 2012 #1
TorchTheWitch Dec 2012 #2
livetohike Dec 2012 #3
livetohike Dec 2012 #4
Stinky The Clown Dec 2012 #5
livetohike Dec 2012 #6
Stinky The Clown Dec 2012 #7

Response to Stinky The Clown (Original post)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 04:54 AM

1. That's a great idea. We have also used the

clip on LED lights similar to what bicycle riders and others use. They are lighter and the batteries last longer. They are also useful when we catch the bus, especially in winter when it is dark going to work and also coming home.

Thanks.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 05:18 AM

2. what a brilliant idea!

I never ever would have thought of that.

You know, I thought this post was going to be about another firefly on the butt!

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 12:10 PM

3. What a great idea!

I'm going to do this today .

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 11:59 AM

4. This worked out so well!

We have about 1/2 acre fenced in with a split rail fence. Our ACD Murphy frequently jumps out through the opening and enjoys the rest of the acreage. Cindy (Catahoula Leopard) never jumps through, so we don't have to wonder where she is. I attached a light to Murphy's collar last night when we let them out to do their final business before bed time. It was hilarious watching Murphy run through the woods. He never goes far - and he always comes right back when we call him, but it was fun to watch where he does go.

Reply to this post

Response to livetohike (Reply #4)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 01:28 PM

5. Ha! Glad it worked.

Was your ACD aware of the light on the collar? Our GSD seems unaware of it - or at least unfazed by it.

Reply to this post

Response to Stinky The Clown (Reply #5)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 01:48 PM

6. No, Murphy didn't seem aware of it.....

I thought he would "feel" it on there and try to turn around and see it, but nope, he didn't seem bothered by it. Cindy didn't seem to notice that Murphy had it on either, or else maybe she was chuckling to herself .

Reply to this post

Response to livetohike (Reply #6)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 02:14 PM

7. She was chuckling to herself.

Dogs that need such remedies as flashlights on their collars *always* get chuckled at.

When we put a saddlebag with water bottles in it as a "calming weight" on the GSD to reduce her parking while walking, the other two walked farther away from her . . . and then glanced back at her as we walked. It really *was* as if they were chuckling.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread