HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Pets (Group) » The Cat Lady
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 06:24 AM

The Cat Lady

I have a friend, an old woman that lives north of me out in the woods and I call her "The Cat Lady". I call her this because she has cats a plenty and cares for them as best she can.

She does things like take in abused strays (a recent "case" was that of a tom cat she found on her property that had been neutered with a pair of scissors!). Another case was one of a cat with a deformity to her mouth that she spoon fed and cared for best she could.

The Cat Lady as I call her loves her cats but has little money. She still takes them to the same vet I go to when she can as it seems they've known one another since the 1960s.

In any event, both of the cats I have described above fell ill, one right behind the other. She needed the vet and had no money for the bill, so she called him on the phone anyway and told him about the problems she was facing.

Believe it or not, her friend, this god send of a vet, told her that he would meet her at a nearby undisclosed location and she went there and met up with him and he treated her one cat with an IV right there on the spot in his van and the other one, the one that had been cruelly neutered needed to be put down as he, like my late Flame, had gone into kidney failure. So that was done too, there on the spot in his van.

So, this vet, my vet, did this for her. She told me when I saw her the other day that she never saw a bill from his office and that he had told her to sort of "keep it quiet" as he has many customers in the area that go to him, including my own physician (whom I'd describe as a financially well off internist with quite a few bucks and she doesn't mind telling you about it either ... flaunt flaunt ... ) who has called him and made demands upon him for emergency care for her dogs which I don't think he particularly liked, especially being neither case was really a bonafide "emergency situation". It was a situation of I need your care RIGHT NOW and I have MONEY RIGHT NOW and I want YOU Dr. _ to wait on me and my dogs at RIGHT NOW! She tends to not receive quick call backs from what I know.

He never really responded much to my doctor's demands even after she'd paid him over $10K for spinal surgery on one of her dogs, something that I would certainly think twice about doing to any animal regardless of the cost given the severity of this type of surgery, esp. on a large dog which is what she has. I guess he wasn't impressed with her (my doctor that is) or her upper 1% status as a physician and all of her damn money, nope.

It is sure nice to know that there are veterinarians out there like this man. I hope to god he never retires (he's pushing 70 now). He told me he doesn't want to retire, but his wife wants him to.

Whatever he decides to do, I'm sure it will be what is best for his best friends in life and they are cats and dogs and all other creatures great and small and also people like The Cat Lady up north.

Isn't this a nice story to share?

I kind of think so and that is why I am posting it here. It gives me faith and hope and also knowledge that YES there are some good people out there in this world that even though they may have money, they don't use it to manipulate others nor decide who gets what in life.

Kudos to this fine veterinarian and also, may god bless The Cat Lady, my friend who is grieving the loss of two of her beloved cats as I still am, back to back.

I know how badly it sucks for her and her other cats too, but thank god this man, our vet, was able to help her despite her financial status in life as an old woman with few resources but she has one big resource and that is her ability to love and care for my very best friends in life and that is CATS.

4 replies, 652 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Cat Lady (Original post)
CountAllVotes Nov 2012 OP
NCarolinawoman Nov 2012 #1
CountAllVotes Nov 2012 #2
Curmudgeoness Nov 2012 #3
TorchTheWitch Nov 2012 #4

Response to CountAllVotes (Original post)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 11:14 AM

1. Your Vet sounds like he is from that PBS series, Creatures Great and Small.

I think it was based on the real-life vet, James Harriot. The series had it's comedic elements, but basically it was about two vets who really cared about animals and people, and not so much about money.

I have a wonderful veterinarian for my cat, who donates her free time to wildlife rehabilitation. Her Husband, who is one of the chief veterinarian at NC State, started the turtle rescue organization that helps out sea turtles on the coast. He also founded the turtle rehabilitation center at the Veterinarian School in Raleigh. Under his guidance, 80 veterinarian students volunteer their time to care for over 300 injured box turtles a year. This turtle rescue organization is located at the University and is funded primarily through donations. Ultimately, this is a labor of love, and is the brainchild of this one individual veterinarian.

good guys and gals are still out there.

Oh, I should mention that these two vets, each have a cat and a dog.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to NCarolinawoman (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 01:10 PM

2. My vet has 3 cats and 2 dogs

and he has been described as "saintly" by some.

To others, he is a miracle worker!

What a fine man indeed!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 06:22 PM

3. Yes, that is a nice story

of a great man. I am not usually an optimist (note my screen name), but I do believe there are a lot of people like this out there. It is often hard to find them, because they are not the ones who will tell you about all of their accomplishments and donations. I love it when I run into someone like this vet. I hope he continues to do what he apparently loved to do, for you and the Cat Lady and all the animals he will help.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:07 PM

4. my vet clinic is also saintly

I live in terror that they ever close up shop and I have to find another vet clinic. I figure if you find a saintly vet cling onto them like a life raft and encourage everyone you come across with pets to use them, too, making sure they get plenty of business.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread