HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Pets (Group) » What is bad (or good) abo...

Sat Dec 24, 2011, 12:12 AM

What is bad (or good) about rawhide chews?

My dog loves them.

11 replies, 2312 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply What is bad (or good) about rawhide chews? (Original post)
roody Dec 2011 OP
Denninmi Dec 2011 #1
Dover Dec 2011 #2
TorchTheWitch Dec 2011 #3
roody Dec 2011 #4
TorchTheWitch Dec 2011 #7
TBF Dec 2011 #5
TBF Dec 2011 #6
ginnyinWI Jan 2012 #8
badgerpup Jan 2012 #9
ginnyinWI Jan 2012 #10
badgerpup Jan 2012 #11

Response to roody (Original post)

Sat Dec 24, 2011, 05:35 AM

1. I haven't been able to give them to either of my last two dogs.

My first dog had them daily, with no issues.

The second one, and then my current dog, both tried to swallow them without chewing them fully down, and after a couple of scary incidents with each when I thought they would choke to death, I said "never again."

I guess it just depends on the individual dog. I don't know if there is some particular weirdness about rawhide that made my dogs try to swallow large pieces, neither of them ever had this problem with any other type of food or treat.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Dec 25, 2011, 03:50 PM

2. I think it depends on the source, how it's processed, etc. and also the amount given, the age/size

Last edited Sun Dec 25, 2011, 04:46 PM - Edit history (1)

of dog. For instance, you don't want a puppy chewing on something that it can break off large chunks and swallow because
they don't yet have the means to swallow and digest it and it could cause blockage. There's a lot of info on this whole subject
available on the web.
For pups - http://www.the-puppy-dog-place.com/rawhide-dog-chews.html

When my dog was a puppy he chewed a brand new pair of expensive shoes. Rather than punish him for doing what comes
naturally for a teething pup, I went out and got him a more appetizing replacement (a puppy-friendly rawhide chew) and it worked!
He never even looked at another shoe.

I now often give my adult dog these (below) because he loves them and they serve the dual purpose of dental hygiene. I get them
at the vet.

They come in different sizes and smell very strongly like 'vitamins' (for lack of a better description) and he gets one or two per week.

But I also give my dog deer antlers to chew on and buffalo bones (in Whole Foods frozen meat section) with lots of marrow in them.
In general, I try to give him as much unprocessed food as possible.

Haven't tried these yet, but they also might be an option as an occasional treat.
http://www.pethealthandnutritioncenter.com/primal-buffalo-raw-dog-marrow-bones-6-pk.html

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 25, 2011, 08:03 PM

3. Read this...

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/rawhide-good-or-bad-for-your-dog

It just isn't worth the risk. There's other types of hard chew treats and toys for dogs that aren't dangerous.

Hope this helps.

Reply to this post

Response to TorchTheWitch (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 25, 2011, 08:27 PM

4. Thanks.

Reply to this post

Response to roody (Reply #4)

Mon Dec 26, 2011, 01:50 AM

7. you're very welcome

I wish the things were illegal or at least came with a HUGE warning label. And I wish that every vet told every client with a dog the risks. Who would likely know there was anything to worry about when they're the single biggest chew treat sold for dogs and vets generally never mention it?

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 25, 2011, 09:55 PM

5. Good for teeth - but can be hard to digest.

My lab can't handle them - he chews on bully sticks instead.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 25, 2011, 09:58 PM

6. I also have an alternative for keeping teeth looking good -

you can brush them of course. I also found bones called "Checkups" - I order them on Amazon. My dog gets diarrhea from rawhide but can eat these little white bones easily.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 1, 2012, 03:15 PM

8. What about a rawhide chew for a cat?

My daughter owns an oriental mix cat, 2 years old now, who wants to chew on everything. She destroys feather toys, chews holes in blankets, tries to get at electrical cords--you know, just like a puppy. Do you think she'd go for rawhide? I've advised my daughter to try it. This is a very active cat who obviously needs something.

Reply to this post

Response to ginnyinWI (Reply #8)

Sun Jan 1, 2012, 06:56 PM

9. I tried gettting the really-small-dog size chews for my teething kitten MacFeegle...

...problem is the same problem you have with just about anything 'healthy' for your cat...will the CAT eat/use it?

Feegle just looked at these little sticks, tried to bat them (they don't bat well), shrugged and walked off. He ignored any further efforts to get him to chew these instead of anything and everything else.

I ended up giving them to my next-door neighbor who DOES have a really-small-dog.

He did eventually grow out of the gnawing on everything once his teeth finally all made their appearances...

Reply to this post

Response to badgerpup (Reply #9)

Sun Jan 1, 2012, 11:20 PM

10. well it's probably worth a try anyway

This cat is two years old and still chewing! It might be more like nervous energy because she was a really hyper as a kitten too. She has a brother cat to play with, but still doesn't have enough to do, seemingly.

Reply to this post

Response to ginnyinWI (Reply #10)

Mon Jan 2, 2012, 07:59 PM

11. Good luck to you then!

Kitties do have sharp little teeth!
Thank FSM Raven is growing out of enjoyment of the 'knuckle sammich' (she gnaws on my knuckles...toughest part of my hand).

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread