HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Pets (Group) » Ever have that "I'm ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 11:00 PM

Ever have that "I'm not alone" in the shower feeling, like Psycho?

My puppy has learned how to climb into the tub when I shower. Gave me a startle but she was very proud of herself.

4 replies, 935 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ever have that "I'm not alone" in the shower feeling, like Psycho? (Original post)
uppityperson Apr 2012 OP
hlthe2b Apr 2012 #1
Rhiannon12866 Apr 2012 #2
TorchTheWitch Apr 2012 #3
hobbit709 Apr 2012 #4

Response to uppityperson (Original post)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 11:07 PM

1. That's my old girlie's hiding spot during thunderstorms...

I'll never forget the first time I found her in there after searching all over. With the reflection of her eyes shining back at me, it absolutely freaked me out.

Bless her heart, it is hard for her to get up in the tub, now, but she does it.

Maybe your pup will grow to love baths like this guy: (amazing)

""

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #1)

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 01:09 AM

2. My Cairn Terrier was terrified of thunderstorms

He was totally inconsolable and nothing worked except taking him elsewhere. He freaked out so much that there was no telling what he would do, poor pup, and he jumped into the shower with me more than once. If he happened to be alone at home, everybody raced home so he wouldn't be by himself.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 03:00 AM

3. I know exactly what you mean!

But in my case it's weird to me to actually BE alone in the shower or bath because if the dog isn't there I figure he's getting into mischief somewhere else. My last dog never let me take a shower or bath on my own and this current one seems to be picking up the habit though they certainly never knew each other. Maybe it's because they both love to play in the tubby and figure it's THEIR tubby and get indignant when you aren't sharing the tubby fun.

Come to think of it, my first dog didn't like me using the tubby on my own either but only when I had a bath. He didn't like the shower spray so left me on my own for showers but he did insist on laying on the bathroom floor guarding me while I was in there. He never liked me or anyone else going in the bathroom for any reason and shutting him out. I think that started when one time when he was young and a lived at a different place with a much smaller bathroom I was ill and fainted on the bathroom floor, and he knew something was wrong and couldn't get in because the door was shut. Ever since then he got anxious if I went into the bathroom and closed the door, so I got in the habit of just never closing it anymore... but I live alone so it's not like it matters. All these years later though it feels weird to me to do anything in a bathroom with the door shut.

The first and second dogs would climb right in the tubby with me, but the one I have now is only willing to put his two front legs in, and he's hesitant about it. Mostly he just molests me from the safety and dryness of the outside of the tubby, but he's so big it hardly matters. With the first dog the only way to keep him from climbing all the way in the tub with me when I had a bath (and there was NOT enough room for both of us in there!) I used bubble bath and lined up bubble blobs along the edge of the tubby like sentries... he didn't seem to want to cross their path though he was perfectly happy for me to make him bubble hats and bubble beards and fling blobs of bubbles at him for him to bite and stomp on the floor. It kind of ruined the whole point of having a relaxing bath since mostly what I ended up doing was playing with him. We had a lot of fun though.

You may now never ever be able to take a shower or bath without the doggie joining in the fun... that's how it always started for me when each one of mine was a puppy. Seems like once they figure out what great fun it is to molest you in the bath or shower you'll never again be able to be on your own in there for as long as they live. But it becomes a ritual that you love and miss it terribly when there's no doggie annoying you in there... it's so lonely and no fun at all. I actually felt very happy and relieved that the current pooch is also invading my tubby time even though it can be such a pain sometimes. You get so used to it that it feels weird and lonely and boring to have a bath or shower on your own.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 07:08 AM

4. Marcy does that but then she's a Lab.

she thinks water of any kind is just wonderful.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread