HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » Gardening (Group) » My daughter has a hyssop ...

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 09:31 AM

My daughter has a hyssop plant. Does anybody have ideas for using it?

I've done some reading on its medicinal qualities, but I'm not sure how to prepare it for the different uses other than drying it and using it in herbal teas. Plus internal use has to be kept to a minimum since it can be poisonous if overused.

2 replies, 730 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply My daughter has a hyssop plant. Does anybody have ideas for using it? (Original post)
Ruby Reason Apr 2012 OP
Denninmi Apr 2012 #1
Ruby Reason Apr 2012 #2

Response to Ruby Reason (Original post)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 09:43 AM

1. I assume you mean true hyssop (Hyssopus officinalis)?

Honestly, I think it's mainly medicinal. I've grown it before, it's an attractive plant and makes a good substitution appearance-wise in the garden for lavender in climates where lavenders won't survive the winters easily. I know they have used it as a flavoring agent in some alcohols, but honestly, to me it smells like mint and skunk, and I don't think the skunkiness would be pleasant to consume.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Denninmi (Reply #1)

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 09:24 PM

2. Thanks, the bees and butterflies sure like it.

It is parked not to far from my lavender. I am interested in medicinal as well as culinary uses. It is part of the mint family I think so you have a good nose!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread