HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Cooking & Baking (Group) » Egg boiling calculator
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 11:43 AM

Egg boiling calculator

I like my eggs boiled with the yolk still runny but the white hard and I've been a bit hit or miss about getting them just the way I like them.

Turns out the size and starting temperature of the egg make a difference. Hoocoodanoed?

This Norwegian egg boiling calculator saved my err... bacon, gets the eggs just like I want them every time.

http://www.mn.uio.no/kjemi/tjenester/kunnskap/egg/

5 replies, 1376 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Egg boiling calculator (Original post)
Fumesucker Jan 2013 OP
Glassunion Jan 2013 #1
PADemD Jan 2013 #2
Major Nikon Jan 2013 #3
Jenoch Jan 2013 #4
RILib Jan 2013 #5

Response to Fumesucker (Original post)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 01:56 PM

1. NEAT!

Nerds rock!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 03:38 PM

2. Poached Eggs

When I poach eggs, I set the timer for 3 minutes; the whites are solid and the yolks are runny.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 06:03 PM

3. I'm also very particular with my soft boiled eggs

I use my sous vide rig to make them. You just set the temperature to exactly how you like them and they turn out perfectly every single time with no guesswork or variance.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:56 PM

4. I have found it is easier to steam eggs

to get them just how I like them. For soft-cooked eggs it takes about 6-1/2 minutes and for hard cooked eggs about 12 minutes. I used a pasta insert in a kettle with a couple of inches of simmering water in the bottom of the kettle. I don't know why, but the steamed hard cooked eggs are much easier to peel than those cooked in simmering water.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 01:57 AM

5. Nordic Ware Microwave Egg Boiler

I tried the Nordic Ware Microwave Egg Boiler and have never looked back. After a few trial runs to determine the time (9 minutes for four eggs, then I let them sit twenty minutes more) for my microwave, perfect hard boiled eggs every time, no watching the stove, and they peel like a charm.

I know I should ask this in another thread, but du won't let me post a new thread yet. Does anyone know how seriously to take egg carton expiration times? I unearthed one labeled Dec 24 from my frig. These are supermarket eggs. Normally I buy eggs from my neighbor, but his girls don't lay many eggs in the winter. Thanks

p.s. Like the post above, I think this is actually steaming.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread