HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Cooking & Baking (Group) » Cleaning out my cupboards...

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 12:45 PM

Cleaning out my cupboards today....

can not believe the amount of food that I'm wasting. What can this old, single guy, who likes to cook, do to cut down on the trash?

5 replies, 738 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Cleaning out my cupboards today.... (Original post)
daleanime Jan 2013 OP
Phentex Jan 2013 #1
Sherman A1 Jan 2013 #2
cbayer Jan 2013 #3
lizerdbits Jan 2013 #4
NJCher Jan 2013 #5

Response to daleanime (Original post)

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 01:51 PM

1. Freeze?

There's a fridge/freezer thread on this subject right now. I seem to have more trouble with my inside freezer. It's small and stuff tends to hide, lol.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 01:51 PM

2. Same problem here

I buy too much when shopping, although I have cut back significantly, I still over buy. I have found that it helps me to skip shopping once in awhile. On those weeks I just buy the milk and bread thing and try to use up what is in the freezer.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 05:40 PM

3. I sort through things frequently and force myself to use them for meals before

I can buy anything else.

I also never go to the store without a list. Not only do I stick to it and not get things I don't need, but it makes me go through my supplies prior to going to the store.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 10:49 PM

4. I cleaned out mine last year

I also cleaned out my husband's pantry to prepare for me moving in and found some sweetened condensed milk that was almost completely solid!

I'm trying to check the pantry and use recipes for things I've had for a while, like dried beans and fruit that have been around for a while. The up side to that is the recipes I find that use what I have. I often google the ingredients I have and see what pops up. Allrecipes.com can help, or any other site that has tons of recipes. I made a chutney with a bunch of dried fruit I had sitting around that was great!

Reply to this post

Response to lizerdbits (Reply #4)

Thu Jan 3, 2013, 11:55 PM

5. I learned that during Sandy

When there were things that had to be used up or be thrown away.

It was a challenge to use up the things in the frig and I learned to like cooking that way.

Cher

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread