HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Cooking & Baking (Group) » This is the next recipe I...

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 10:48 PM

This is the next recipe I plan to try... Cajun Meatloaf.

I was going to make it today, but I was eager to try the Swiss Chard and Barley recipe posted by Melissa G first. And it was quite delicious too!

Anyway, here it is...

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/01/cajun-meatloaf/

5 replies, 661 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply This is the next recipe I plan to try... Cajun Meatloaf. (Original post)
Lisa0825 Dec 2012 OP
Laurian Dec 2012 #1
Melissa G Dec 2012 #2
Lisa0825 Dec 2012 #3
Glassunion Dec 2012 #4
locks Dec 2012 #5

Response to Lisa0825 (Original post)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 09:22 AM

1. That looks yummy!

Meatloaf is a favorite of mine. Let us know how you liked this variation.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 04:17 PM

2. I don't eat much meat

but this looks pretty good. Big fan of cajun flavor. I once made a meatloaf in in bundt pan that had a parsley and cottage cheese middle. That was some good stuff! I'd probably sub tomato paste for the ketchup in this recipe you posted.

I look forward to your update of how it came out. Hard at work these days and not cooking much.

Had a tasty salmon chowder today from The Soup Peddler. I may try to duplicate that recipe later.
It was tasty!

Younger daughter is bring home some fresh mint and I have some clementines I need to use up. I may make some strange orangy/lemony/limey mint beverage tonight.

Good luck!

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 08:58 PM

3. This was very good!

I made some yummy garlic butter mashed potatoes to go with it. Very hard for me to resist going for seconds!

The only thing is I wish it had more liquid released to drizzle on the potatoes. Next time I may have to experiment with making some extra sauce to mix with what ends up in the pan.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 05:52 PM

4. Thank you. This may be the one that will get my wife to eat meatloaf.

I have tried several different ways to dress it up, but she never likes it.

This honestly has my mouth watering.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 08:33 PM

5. More cajun

Going to New Orleans for Christmas where I learned to like eggplant a lot. There are many stuffed eggplant recipes online under Cajun/Southern tabs. This one from the Plantation Cookbook of the Junior League of New Orleans is my favorite; you can change it in many ways. You can use less crab and shrimp,or crawfish and scallops in season (they're very expensive now) and the eggplant is still good. Serves 6

Stuffed Eggplant with Fruits of the Sea

3 medium eggplants
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 C. chopped green onions
1 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 T worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
1 tsp thyme
2 minced cloves garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and broken up (or chopped scallops)
1 lb. crabmeat
2 eggs beaten
1 C. bread crumbs
2 T. lemon juice
8 T. grated Romano cheese

Wash eggplant, cut off stems, cut in half vertically; boil in salted water about ten minutes till tender.
Scoop out insides and chop finely. Place shells in shallow baking dish. Saute onions, green pepper, celery, bay and thyme in 1/4 C butter in heavy pot. Add chopped eggplant and cook, covered, stirring occasionally for 30 min. In separate skillet saute shrimp (or chopped scallops) in butter for 1-2 min. Add to eggplant mixture. Mix Tabasco, worcestershire, bread crumbs and eggs; add to eggplant mixture. Stir in parsley, crabmeat, lemon juice, and blend. Remove bay. Fill eggplant shells with mixture. Sprinkle each with 1 T Romano. Bake at 350 until hot and browned on top, about 30 to 40 min.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread