HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Cooking & Baking (Group) » Candied Ginger and Ginger...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 03:51 PM

Candied Ginger and Ginger Liqueur

Last edited Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:58 PM - Edit history (1)

I'm making a double batch today because this treat is very popular among my friends. I plan to dip most of the slices in dark chocolate, but keep a good supply around for tummy upsets. On Edit: In the video, I used a spoon. I only did that the first time I tried the recipe, a potato peeler is much more efficient. Definitely make it easy on yourself.
http://www.vickismenu.com/vickismenu/?p=288

40 replies, 2459 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 40 replies Author Time Post
Reply Candied Ginger and Ginger Liqueur (Original post)
yellerpup Dec 2012 OP
cbayer Dec 2012 #1
yellerpup Dec 2012 #2
cbayer Dec 2012 #3
yellerpup Dec 2012 #4
cbayer Dec 2012 #5
yellerpup Dec 2012 #6
OffWithTheirHeads Dec 2012 #28
yellerpup Dec 2012 #29
OffWithTheirHeads Dec 2012 #36
Fortinbras Armstrong Dec 2012 #7
yellerpup Dec 2012 #8
Glassunion Dec 2012 #9
yellerpup Dec 2012 #10
Glassunion Dec 2012 #11
yellerpup Dec 2012 #12
Glassunion Dec 2012 #13
Glassunion Mar 2013 #38
yellerpup Feb 2013 #37
Glassunion Mar 2013 #39
yellerpup Mar 2013 #40
OffWithTheirHeads Dec 2012 #14
cbayer Dec 2012 #15
OffWithTheirHeads Dec 2012 #16
cbayer Dec 2012 #17
OffWithTheirHeads Dec 2012 #18
cbayer Dec 2012 #19
OffWithTheirHeads Dec 2012 #20
cbayer Dec 2012 #22
yellerpup Dec 2012 #23
cbayer Dec 2012 #24
yellerpup Dec 2012 #25
jackbenimble Dec 2012 #30
yellerpup Dec 2012 #31
jackbenimble Dec 2012 #32
yellerpup Dec 2012 #33
jackbenimble Dec 2012 #34
yellerpup Dec 2012 #35
yellerpup Dec 2012 #21
OffWithTheirHeads Dec 2012 #26
yellerpup Dec 2012 #27

Response to yellerpup (Original post)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 04:03 PM

1. I've got a very large chunk of ginger that needs something.

I have never tried to make my own candied ginger, but this doesn't look hard.

As to the ginger liqueur, I'm not so sure. What do you mix it with?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to cbayer (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 04:21 PM

2. It's not difficult.

And one thing I discovered after I made the video is how fabulous they are dipped in chocolate. (after drying) I mix the syrup with a good vodka (Absolut), put it in the coat closet and give it a shake (to keep the sugar circulating) at least once a day for a few weeks and it also is very popular as an after dinner drink around here. We usually sip it straight after dinner, but I bet it would go nicely in lemonade, 7-Up, and possibly even Coke. Never tried it before but now you've got me thinkin! You li'l devil!

Reply to this post

Response to yellerpup (Reply #2)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 04:26 PM

3. You made that video? Very cool.

I don't have a candy thermometer, but there might be one at the hardware store (open tomorrow).

I have never peeled ginger with a spoon, but will try it.

I have been looking for a nice late night sipper, so this may do the trick. And I like drinks with ginger ale sometimes, so I might try mixing as well.

Nice done.

Reply to this post

Response to cbayer (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 04:43 PM

4. You don't need a thermometer.

Just watch it until it gets to thickened honey stage. I gave up on peeling with the spoon! I use a potato peeler now and it goes much quicker. Also, another bonus--save the sugar that you roll the ginger in. It stays very gingery because of the syrup transfer and if it clumps a little, just break it up. I used it to make oatmeal cookies and Mr. Pup went wild. Big hit at his office, too.

I got on this kick after having a cocktail at a company Christmas party. It was Elderflower liqueur, Ginger liqueur, and gin, garnished with a big slice of candied ginger and a lime. Yummy. Then I scouted around for candied ginger and found it to be quite pricey. My intention was to try to recreate the cocktail at home, but when the fixin's added up to over $80, I decided I would settle on going to the restaurant and having one once or twice a year.

Reply to this post

Response to yellerpup (Reply #4)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 05:13 PM

5. Thanks for all that! Ginger is one of the things that really seems to help seasickness,

and I often have triple ginger snaps from TJ's around. But both of these would be good alternatives.

I will let you know how it works out.

Reply to this post

Response to cbayer (Reply #5)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:06 PM

6. Go for it.

I just finished my batch. When the liquid was boiled down to the tops of the ginger slices and the bubbles became small crowded, I took a test with my candy/fat fry thermometer and it registered exactly 220. They are drying on the counter now, lolling in raw sugar that I will soon make into cookies. I'm so excited that you're trying it.

Reply to this post

Response to yellerpup (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 09:31 PM

28. Just pulled my first batch of oatmeal/ ginger sugar cookies out of the oven.

Heaven!

Reply to this post

Response to OffWithTheirHeads (Reply #28)

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 07:57 AM

29. Aren't they special?

So much better than regular oatmeal cookies.

Reply to this post

Response to OffWithTheirHeads (Reply #28)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 11:58 PM

36. Yeppers, and I have a little funny for you.

Yesterday I brought some ginger home for some stir fry in my new wok. For the life of me I couldn't find my potato peeler and thought to myself, well fuck, I guess I could peel it with a spoon! eventually I found the peeler but the whole situation just cracked me up.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 09:11 AM

7. Just as an aside

Fresh ginger keeps almost indefinitely if you peel it, slice it, put it in a jar, fill the jar with dry white wine (red wine dyes the ginger) and put it in the fridge.

Reply to this post

Response to Fortinbras Armstrong (Reply #7)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 10:37 AM

8. Interesting!

I did not know that. Thanks!

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 04:58 PM

9. If you are a fan of ginger and liqueur may I reccomend Snap.

It's an all organic liqueur made with just the 8 simple ingredients of a ginger snap cookie (Lebkuchen). It makes for an excellent after dinner drink as it is lightly sweet and a bit spicy.

http://www.artintheage.com/ goto "spirits".

I'm not sure if they are available everywhere, however I'm lucky enough to live near these folks.

Reply to this post

Response to Glassunion (Reply #9)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 05:42 PM

10. Interesting site.

The liquor store in the next down over carries it. I'll check out the price. I'm inclined to try the Root first! I make a pure ginger liqueur for our personal pleasure and happily fill bottles for friends. Two Christmases ago I made cordials of strawberry, cherry, pineapple, orange-cinnamon, ginger, and limoncello for after dinner cheer. Strawberry and limoncello were the most favorite. My only complaint is that the cherry tasted a bit like cough drops. I still have half a bottle in the cabinet. Thanks for the tip!

Reply to this post

Response to yellerpup (Reply #10)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 05:48 PM

11. If I recall the bottle of Snap was about $35

I have yet to try any of their other flavors. If I do, I'll be sure to drop you a line.

Reply to this post

Response to Glassunion (Reply #11)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 05:52 PM

12. Thanks!

I especially like it that their product is organic. Another reason I want to try the root is that the base is birch bark. Birch is the tree of my Cherokee clan, the Anigotigewi (Wild Potato Clan), and sassafras candy was a favorite from my childhood.

Reply to this post

Response to yellerpup (Reply #12)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 11:45 PM

13. Let me know how it is.

My bottle of Snap should last another couple of weeks. I'm tempted to add a bit to a fruitcake. Either way I won't be hitting the state stores for a while.

Reply to this post

Response to yellerpup (Reply #12)

Response to Glassunion (Reply #9)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 06:58 PM

37. I finally tried the "Root" liqueur!

Tastes like root beer! Interesting but 80 proof, so I kind of get a kick in the head off the first sip. Love the little storybook tag that explains the origins of the drink and I like the taste for the novelty. A shot of this liqueur would put a kick in a root beer float over vanilla ice cream. The liquor store mentioned on the link had to special order it for me, quoted me $37 but ended up charging me $44. I won't be going back to them (my regular guy could have ordered it) because the guy was defiantly determined to overcharge me. Thanks for the tip; so glad I had a chance to try Root!

Reply to this post

Response to yellerpup (Reply #37)

Sun Mar 3, 2013, 06:28 PM

39. I just picked up a bottle today.

A tad sweet for my taste, but really good.

I managed to pick it up for $31 at my local guy.

Reply to this post

Response to Glassunion (Reply #39)

Sun Mar 3, 2013, 10:11 PM

40. I can't drink more than one.

They are 80 proof! Because it is based on a NA recipe, the folks in our theatre group get a big kick out of giving it a try. It's a conversation starter in that bunch for sure, but they are young with guts of iron. Yes, I knew he was gouging me at the liquor store. I only went in there because they said it was in stock online. Next time, I'll try my regular guy.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 07:25 PM

14. Tried this yesterday. Found several serious problems.

First, peeling Ginger with a spoon is silly and lasted about two minutes. Switched to the higher tec method of potato peeler and thanked the Deities for advances in civilization.

Second, these are so damn good that I can't stop eating them which means that I will have to make more and more which means I will soon have gallons of Ginger Vodka which means I will probably end up in re-hab after drinking myself into the gutter which means I will probably lose my house and get a devorce and end up in the streets which means I will no longer have access to the equipment tp make more which means that my only hope is that the world ends on Dec 21st and all of my problems go away.

Thanks!

Reply to this post

Response to OffWithTheirHeads (Reply #14)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:08 PM

15. This is a hilarious post. I am now in the middle of my first boil and the smell is wonderful.

Wish me luck!

About how long did it take to get to the point that you take it off the fire?

Reply to this post

Response to cbayer (Reply #15)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:22 PM

16. It took awhile. Figure about 20 min between boilings and about

30 min to get the sugar water up to temp. Your results may vary based on elevation. Trust me, it's worth it and will destroy your life. Sort of like those pharma commercials where they tell you to discontinue use if all your hair falls out or your gums start bleeding or you die.

Reply to this post

Response to OffWithTheirHeads (Reply #16)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:26 PM

17. Just put it in the sugar water. No candy thermometer so I am going by the honey

thickness marker.

Reply to this post

Response to cbayer (Reply #17)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:42 PM

18. I really don't think you can mess it up.

My syrup was kind of thin. i don't think you want to cook it to an actual honey consistency, just a thin, honey like syrup?

Please let us all know what you think tomorrow. Of course you will try some tonight but they seem to mellow overnight.

Reply to this post

Response to OffWithTheirHeads (Reply #18)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:46 PM

19. Did you remove it from the syrup and sugar it or just leave it in the syrup for now?

I think for this batch I am going to just leave it in the syrup.

It's almost done!

Reply to this post

Response to cbayer (Reply #19)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:52 PM

20. No. I drained it and rolled it in sugar. Followed the directions

For the Ginger Vodka with the syrup. Ergo, my collapse into the gutter.

Saved the excess sugar for cookies. Waste not, want not.

Reply to this post

Response to OffWithTheirHeads (Reply #20)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 09:30 PM

22. Eek! I got my syrup a little too thick.

I have just finished removing what I can from the bottom of the pan and am a little concerned about the pan's future.

OTOH, what I have is super delicious and won't last long around here.

Think I will invest in a candy thermometer for the next batch.

Reply to this post

Response to cbayer (Reply #22)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 10:27 PM

23. I gave you bad advice.

My syrup crystalized, but I had drained all the ginger out of it. I think my thermometer is off. I put it in a jar but didn't add vodka. This afternoon I noticed crystals forming and thought I'd give it a swirl....crystals grown like a mountain range in the bottom of the jar. I poured off what was still liquid into plastic, so even if it hardens completely I can reconstitute it with water. I'm sorry. I tended the thermometer religiously, so I could describe what 220 looked like. I should have checked in, but we were just having leftover soup. I made a loaf of banana-date bread today that I blew completely, so maybe it's not just the thermometer that was off.

The candy is perfect, though.

Reply to this post

Response to yellerpup (Reply #23)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 10:48 PM

24. We are loving the candy and it's just fine.

Even my pot seems to be letting go!

Reply to this post

Response to cbayer (Reply #24)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 11:00 PM

25. Great.

Enjoy!

Reply to this post

Response to yellerpup (Reply #23)

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 08:56 PM

30. I almost always cook mine until it crystalizes.

Then I don't have to roll it in sugar. And I have a ton of ginger sugar left over.

Reply to this post

Response to jackbenimble (Reply #30)

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 09:09 PM

31. Wow! How do you do it?

That sounds efficient!

Reply to this post

Response to yellerpup (Reply #31)

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 09:18 PM

32. There is a moment.

When the liquid suddenly turns dry. Sounds like you were about there. It isn't really more efficient. You can't take your eyes off it and if you let it go too far it is ruined. I've used your recipe and like it very much. In fact I just finished up one pint jar of the syrup. I've been using it as an ice cream topping.

Reply to this post

Response to jackbenimble (Reply #32)

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 09:49 PM

33. That makes me smile.

I love to share recipes, and ginger is one of the flavors that makes me crazy. I bet it's good as an ice cream topper. Thanks for the tips, too!

Reply to this post

Response to yellerpup (Reply #33)

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 10:16 PM

34. Forgot to add

that you have to stir it constantly. And when it turns dry to have to take it off the heat and start dumping/spooning onto trays or parchment or whatever you use immediately and then separate the pieces so they can cool. As soon as they are cool enough you can start eating them...

Reply to this post

Response to jackbenimble (Reply #34)

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 11:32 PM

35. Okay, that makes sense.

You made me drool with the last sentence!

Reply to this post

Response to OffWithTheirHeads (Reply #14)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 09:17 PM

21. You are crazy, mad, funny!

I edited the OP about peeling with a spoon--I photographed my first batch and I try to make the actual recipe as written the first time I try something new, especially a recipe that involves timing. A potato peeler is the best tool for the job. Gee, I hope I get to know you better before you go into re-hab because it's not going to end on the 21st!

Reply to this post

Response to yellerpup (Reply #21)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 02:07 PM

26. My dear yellerpup

First, I must complement you on your most excellent video. It was elegant in its simplicity. Exactly the information needed. Nothing more, nothing less. Art in my estimation.

As to getting to know me. I've been here for over a decade but don't usually post a lot. I post even less lately because the keyboard for my ipad died and frankly, typing on an ipad screen is, well, sort of like peeling ginger with a spoon.

Pleased to make your acquaintance and please do more videos

Reply to this post

Response to OffWithTheirHeads (Reply #26)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 03:07 PM

27. So glad you liked the video.

After I finished a novel and a play, I got busy with those and stopped posting on the cooking blog but there are lots of videos on it covering everything from basic pie crust to Osso Bucco. Sometimes I post, sometimes I don't. I try to be more regular about it. I lurked on DU from 2001-2004, and after I joined I found I enjoyed the C&B forum the best. Great folks in here. Pleased to make your acquaintence, OWTH!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread