HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Cooking & Baking (Group) » Any homebrewers in this g...

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 12:06 PM

Any homebrewers in this group?

Last edited Thu Nov 29, 2012, 12:51 PM - Edit history (1)

I love cooking and cooking malted barley soup, then fermenting it, is one of my favorite things to do.

Right now I'm in the process of switching from all malt extract brewing over to all-grain brewing. I'll be using two Rubbermaid 10 gallon round drink coolers. Sadly, Home Depot is my best purchase spot for the coolers as they are the cheapest price at $45 each. One will be the Hot Liquor Tank, the other will be converted into a mash/lauter tun.

If this post is inappropriate for this group, please let me know and I will delete.

5 replies, 455 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Any homebrewers in this group? (Original post)
RomneyLies Nov 2012 OP
Warpy Nov 2012 #1
SeattleVet Dec 2012 #2
RomneyLies Dec 2012 #3
SeattleVet Dec 2012 #4
RomneyLies Dec 2012 #5

Response to RomneyLies (Original post)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:37 AM

1. There have been plenty of homebrew posts here

and some of them have been mine. It's how I used to keep the cost down when I was married to a drunk. Haven't done it since I left him.

I used to get 5 gallon pails of barley malt and grocery bags full of dried hops at cost from a friend with a health food store. About the only things I paid retail for were good yeasts and dextrose for charging the bottles.

The stuff was pretty good but had a kick like a mule.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to RomneyLies (Original post)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 12:36 AM

2. I just did my first all-grain batch a couple of weeks ago,

and bottled this past Sunday. Instead of doing the separate mash/lauter, I tried out the 'Brew in a bag' technique and got wonderful extraction rates, and the entire brew day was done in about 5 hours. Check out http://www.biabrewer.info. My nephew turned me on to this. You use one pot (I have a 44 qt stainless) and don't do a separate sparge. Makes cleanup a lot easier, and the brew appears to be doing quite well (I have 2 sampler bottles to open, one next Sunday, and one the week after, when it should be pretty well conditioned and carbonated).

Saved a bunch of money on the extra coolers/false bottom/etc. My only splurge was that I mounted a valve and added a bazooka tube inside the pot to make it easier to transfer to the fermenter.

Reply to this post

Response to SeattleVet (Reply #2)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 08:44 AM

3. I've looked into BIAB but decided to go the standard all grain route

I want to get to ten gallon session beer batches and a standard five gallon big beer batch size. It works best for my needs and the desire to go to kegging instead of bottling.

Reply to this post

Response to RomneyLies (Reply #3)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 08:59 PM

4. Ah, I see...

I tend toward the Northwest style IPA's, and do 5 gallon batches. All my bottling is into 22 ouncers. Looking at possibly going with kegging, though. The BIAB process wasn't that much more involved than the all-extract (with some steeped crystal) that I had been doing. I'll probably stick with it when I start kegging, too.

Hoppy brewing!

Reply to this post

Response to SeattleVet (Reply #4)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 09:52 PM

5. My long term plan is all electric.

I want a 30 amp controller from http://www.theelectricbrewery.com combined with 19.8 gallon kettles from http://conical-fermenter.com/, mostly to produce consistent results.

Once I'm there, standard recipes will ferment in the larger conicals and I'll do experimental batches in two 6 gallon glass carboys.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread