HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Cooking & Baking (Group) » Freezing beans question
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 09:56 AM

Freezing beans question

I want to start cooking my own kidney beans for chili. I use dried beans for pretty much everything else. I like the flavor of "freshly" cooked over canned. I know beans freeze well, but when I freeze them, it is generally as a prepared dish so that I can have it later for a lunch or supper..

So, should I freeze the kidney beans in their juice or not? Would it make a difference as to how they make it through the freezing process? And my perception of there being 1.5 cups of beans in a 15 oz can is about correct, yes?

3 replies, 844 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Freezing beans question (Original post)
Goblinmonger Jun 2012 OP
bif Jun 2012 #1
freshwest Jun 2012 #2
GoCubsGo Jun 2012 #3

Response to Goblinmonger (Original post)

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 02:00 PM

1. This should answer your questions...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 04:24 PM

2. I cook them and mix them without their juices but add plenty of Tikka Masala sauce to cover in a..

Small ziplock box to freeze and store. To serve I add them to boiled brown rice for a homemade Rajam Masala. For chili I add my homemade sauce to cover and freeze then add them to hot brown rice just as the other. Or heat them alone.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 05:17 PM

3. I freeze beans drained.

I also freeze them in one of those Ziplock storage containers rather than a bag. They're good for a few months this way, but start getting freezer-burned after about 3 months.

1.5 cups sounds about right.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread