HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Health » Pro-Choice (Group) » Help Fight Anti-Abortion ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 12:39 PM

Help Fight Anti-Abortion Jackassery

It began, like so many terrible things, as a Facebook comment thread. I know, I know. You can't tell me, because I already know.

I made a pro-gun control post on my own page. Gun control. Own page. Keep that in mind; it's the "Marley was dead to begin with" portion of my tale. My old friend, let's call him Dan, strongly disagreed with gun control. I knew Dan from 20 years ago, when we were both spoken word performers at the Nuyorican in Manhattan (I know, I know. You can't tell me, because I already know.) Anyway, Dan had moved away from New York and at some point he became the kind of person who speaks fondly of Sarah Palin. We change.

Anyway, the discussion went on and on. It lasted more than a day - I would go away, do other things, assuming it would just peter out the way these arguments do. But sooner or later, he'd be back at it. And he kept flying off the topic, hitting all the NRA talking points. He was posting from every website that sold gas masks and gold bars. And he was bringing in God, the Nazis, and abortion. Especially abortion. "How can you talk about dying kids, when every day in America we kill so many more, because..." You get the idea.

I pointed out that he wasn't addressing the issue. He didn't care. I don't like blocking people who disagree with me, but he wouldn't stay with the subject. I should have just shut it down. But I didn't. I tried mocking his crazy grab bag of right-wing issues:

And the abortion doctors in the Democratic party are in charge of the fluoridation program that's being run out of the mosque at Ground Zero!... Of course the fluoridation program is only cover for the REAL story, which is the insertion of a secret Muslim strike force at the highest echelons of the federal government to take over after the Rapture comes and the Beast of the Apocalypse reveals himself to be... a reanimated Vince Foster!

Then I got to the point:

You want to engage me on abortion.. but I ain't playing... I'm totally going to give $5 to NARAL for every off-topic abortion post you put down starting now.

It seemed perfect. You think abortion kills people. If you keep shooting your mouth off, I'm going to increase my support for that horrible thing. You gain nothing except the satisfaction of hijacking a Facebook comment thread. You do harm to a cause you say you believe in. You say it's about saving lives. How could anyone continue?

Read the whole sad rest of the story here. And help me.
http://paulbibeau.blogspot.com/2012/12/help-fight-anti-abortion-jackassery.html

2 replies, 651 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Help Fight Anti-Abortion Jackassery (Original post)
paulbibeau Dec 2012 OP
MotherPetrie Dec 2012 #1
Kath1 Dec 2012 #2

Response to paulbibeau (Original post)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 01:00 PM

1. K&Rl. I'm a contributor to both NARAL and Planned Parenthood

And I don't do Facebook.
If I did I wouldn't waste time and energy on anti-choicers. Just not worth the aggravation.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MotherPetrie (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 12:27 AM

2. Well said, MotherPetrie!

I do FB on a very limited basis and I have ZERO tolerance for any anti-choicers. Yes, everyone has a right to their opinion but when it comes to my daughter's health and well-being it becomes personal. The 40th anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision is on January 22, 2013. Legal abortion has been the law of this land for 40 years. They need to accept it and get over it.

I was raised as a Catholic and I contribute to Planned Parenthood every year. My 25 year old daughter contributes also.

Peace.

I may contribute to NARAL this year as well. They are an excellent organization.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread