HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Health » Mental Health Support (Group) » Excessiveness- cross post...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 05:12 PM

Excessiveness- cross post from the lounge.

Last edited Tue Nov 20, 2012, 07:22 PM - Edit history (1)

Nadine's thread about alcoholism got me thinking about my own excessive ways. It used to be that when I found something I liked I engaged in it in a slovenly, exorbitant way. By the way, I'm in college now and I'm learning about all kinds of cool, big words.

I'm fortunate not to have become addicted to anything stronger than cigarettes. Lord knows I should have an alcohol problem as well, but I've managed to dodge that bullet somehow. I guess I just don't have that gene or whatever it is that makes you go until you can't go without it.

I kicked the cigarettes about 4.5 months ago and my drinking started tapering off shortly before I met my wife. I was down to a twelve pack on the weekends and I gave that up a month ago because I wanted to lose weight. And my weight is my last hurdle; my excessive desire for food. You know what? It's proving to be the hardest one for me. Initially, the smokes were harder, but abstaining from that got a lot easier after a couple of weeks. Now I don't have much trouble with that. But food? Ah, yes, that's my first love. Before there was tobacco, beer, and dope there was food.

What's getting me is the thought that if I want to remain healthy and lose weight and keep it off, I have to restrain myself for the rest of my life when it comes to food. Now days I consume what it would take to maintain my weight at 200 pounds. That's what I want to weigh. It's hard for me right now even though I'm getting good results. I didn't realize how bad I was getting as far as my eating went. I was at 321 and climbing. To do that, you have to consume 3500 calories a day or better. I think I was well on my way to 400 pounds.

I don't know what it is about my psyche that makes me behave that way. Maybe I should go to therapy for it. I have bipolar disorder and I take meds for that. I've done the talk therapy for that and have gained insight into many things about my myself that were mysteries before. I suppose that my excessiveness could have something to do with the extremes of my illness even though I don't suffer from any other symptoms anymore.

Whatever it is, it looks like I'm destined to just grin and bear it. One cool thing just happened to me, though. Before I sat down to write this I was struggling with not snacking until supper. Well, I've almost made it to supper time. Maybe these words are a part of the solution to my mystery.

2 replies, 530 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Excessiveness- cross post from the lounge. (Original post)
Tobin S. Nov 2012 OP
Denninmi Nov 2012 #1
HereSince1628 Nov 2012 #2

Response to Tobin S. (Original post)

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 07:02 PM

1. One thing about food which is fundamentally different from other addictions ...

... Food is a necessity, you have to eat to live. Other things aren't literally necessary for survival.

It's also hard to divorce yourself emotionally from food for many people. It's always there and always comforting.

I think one key is to radically change your views about it - you have to view it as fuel and nothing more, not as a friend, a reward, a pleasure, a pacifier, a sedative. If you don't look forward to ever meal, every snack, you will find it has less and less hold over you.

I fell into that mode. Used to think about it a lot when I was in my binging on pop and junk food the past two years, was always thinking about when it was time for the next can of Coke or Mt.
Dew. This summer did one thing for me, after my month of repulsion to food, I can eat most things again that are on my plan, but I still struggle daily to eat enough calories, I am satisfied or beyond with very small portions, I still look at many foods and turn away because it makes me queasy, and I have no desire for any kind of sweets or baked goods or fatty foods. I am always thirsty (the lamictal? My blood pressure meds?) and drink about a gallon of water a day. If I have to have an addiction, Dasani is a good one.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Tobin S. (Original post)

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 07:53 PM

2. Of course if you think mental illness is related to your perception that you have a weight issue

you should talk to a therapist.

But as Freud once said...Sometimes a muffin top is just a muffin top.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread