HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Health » Mental Health Support (Group) » It's weird how things wor...

Sun May 6, 2012, 01:50 PM

It's weird how things work out sometimes.

Cross posted from the lounge.

I've been taking a drug called Geodon (ziprasidone) for my bipolar 1 illness for the last nine years. The drug works wonderfully, but it is very expensive- about $700 for a one month supply in the dosage I take. Fortunately, I have had health insurance for most of that time so it hasn't cost me nearly that much.

But I used to be self employed and could not get coverage for my illness, let alone the drug. I asked my psychiatrist not long ago how soon he thought there would be a generic out for Geodon and he told me it would be many years. Well, I just got my monthly prescription filled and they filled the Geodon with the generic ziprasidone. I was amazed. I can now get a month's supply for about $70 without insurance, but I do have health insurance through my employer now and the drug costs me about $15.

This really opens up a lot of doors for me and frees me to do some things that I didn't think I'd be able to do for a long time.

3 replies, 1124 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply It's weird how things work out sometimes. (Original post)
Tobin S. May 2012 OP
mopinko May 2012 #1
Tobin S. May 2012 #2
mopinko May 2012 #3

Response to Tobin S. (Original post)

Mon May 7, 2012, 08:56 AM

1. i wonder what happened.

hope this means there are others out there ready to go off patent. we have good insurance, but my kids are aging out of it. i worry about them.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to mopinko (Reply #1)

Mon May 7, 2012, 04:59 PM

2. I don't know

A few other people in the lounge told me that they recently had some expensive meds go generic. I don't know if it's coincidence or if it's a part of health care reform. Probably worth looking into.

Btw, I heard somewhere that your children can now be covered on your health insurance until they are 26. I don't know for sure if that's true, but that's probably worth looking into as well.

Reply to this post

Response to Tobin S. (Reply #2)

Mon May 7, 2012, 05:36 PM

3. yup, they are covered.

it is true. it is part of the health care bill, but it already was state law here illinois that they could stay till 25. middle kid just turned 25. she might be ok. she is working at petsmart, and will likely be full time soon.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread