HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Health » Exercise and Fitness (Group) » Do you carry any kind of ...

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 06:38 PM

Do you carry any kind of protection when you exercise outside?

It's WAY to cold to run outside here in the upper midwest, so I run at an indoor track in the winter. I wanted to get some fresh air today so I went for a walk in a park just outside of town. There were no other people there, but I swear I just got this eerie feeling that I was being watched. I've heard that cayotes, although rare, have been seen around here and it got me to thinking that maybe it was one.

Anyhow, when spring and summer get here I'll be running in that park and I was wondering if maybe I should buy one of those clip on spray cans of mace or bear spray? I don't think I'm gonna be walking in that park any more this winter.

5 replies, 670 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Do you carry any kind of protection when you exercise outside? (Original post)
LeftofObama Jan 2013 OP
lizerdbits Jan 2013 #1
Denninmi Jan 2013 #2
Bay Boy Feb 2013 #3
Denninmi Feb 2013 #4
LeftofObama Feb 2013 #5

Response to LeftofObama (Original post)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:30 PM

1. I have pepper spray

My husband got me some since I do trail running in the summer to avoid lots of sun. When it's cooler I'm on sidewalks on busy streets so I don't have a need for it. I never got the feeling of being watched on the trails and there are often other people out. Once there was a shirtless shoeless guy wandering around disheveled and I was spooked!

He got me 2, and this one has a handle. The other fits on my key ring.
http://www.sabrered.com/servlet/the-114/JOGGER-PEPPER-SPRAY-DEFENSE/Detail

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:23 PM

2. Sort of tangential, but don't forget something to ward off the cars.

In other words, reflective gear, LED armbands, etc.

Because, sure, you can fight off a mugger with pepper spray, but it won't phase a crappy purple Scion intent on running you over.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 07:55 PM

3. An AR-15 of course...

...somebody had to say it. Ok, maybe not. But I wouldn't be too worried about coyotes, they are quite cowardly. Now if you happen to be female I would worry about other predators and the pepper spray should be good for that.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 01:45 AM

4. Actually, I may pick up pepper spray in the spring.

I have no concerns about humans, I live in a safe community. But, there are still a few people who cannot be bothered, it seems, to control their dogs. I've been chased several times. Fido may get sprayed if he is intent on biting me.

Reply to this post

Response to Denninmi (Reply #4)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 05:04 AM

5. I think I'm going to pick some up too.

I'm not really all that concerned about humans. The park where I run in the spring/summer/fall has parts of it that are not accessible by car and I'm afraid I might run upon an animal of some sort and startle it.

A small can of pepper spray only weighs an ounce or so and you can strap it to your palm so I think I'm going to do that. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread