HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Health » Health (Group) » Study: Lumpectomy Combine...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:07 PM

Study: Lumpectomy Combined With Radiation Could Be Powerful Weapon In Fight Against Breast Cancer

(snip)

Researchers from Duke University recently found that out of 112,000 women in California who were suffering from early stage breast cancer, the patients who received lumpectomies and radiation were 14 percent less likely to die than those who had mastectomies.

(Dr.) Schnable said she hopes that the Duke findings will help squash what she calls a long-standing myth surrounding breast cancer.

“There may be a situation where some people think that because a mastectomy is a bigger operation and more tissue is removed that in some way it represents a better cancer treatment, and I think the current study says no it doesn’t,” the doctor told CBS 2.

The study was only observational. Researchers did not find a specific reason why the women who had lumpectomies had higher survival rates.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/28/study-lumpectomy-combined-with-radiation-could-be-powerful-weapon-in-fight-against-breast-cancer/

7 replies, 761 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Study: Lumpectomy Combined With Radiation Could Be Powerful Weapon In Fight Against Breast Cancer (Original post)
question everything Jan 2013 OP
Mass Jan 2013 #1
question everything Jan 2013 #2
Nay Jan 2013 #7
cbayer Jan 2013 #3
question everything Jan 2013 #4
cbayer Jan 2013 #5
Warpy Jan 2013 #6

Response to question everything (Original post)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:13 PM

1. Interesting study.

I wonder if this is because lumpectomy + radiation is something offered to women whose cancer is less advanced. It would be good to have more information concerning this information.

This said, I was relieved when the doctor told me I could have exactly this treatment rather than chemotherapy, but in my case, it was clear it was because the tumor was very small (a few millimeters) and not very aggressive.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Mass (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:25 PM

2. Glad that it was caught early

Last edited Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:56 PM - Edit history (1)

Chemotherapy really is not part of the equation here, because chemo treats the whole body, catching cells that circulate.

Mastectomy and radiation concentrate on the tumor itself. That is, if you have a mastectomy there is nothing left to radiate.

I've heard that results were comparable. As a matter of fact, I read a review lamenting the fact that not enough women choose the BCT - Breast Conserving Therapy - more often.

With wishes for good health.

on edit: sometimes, if a tumor is being sent to a specialty lab - don't remember the name of the process - where several genetic markers are sought, the results can recommend chemotherapy.

Reply to this post

Response to Mass (Reply #1)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 10:57 AM

7. That makes me happy! I also had a small, easily-removed breast tumor and got the lumpectomy

and radiation. No chemo. In fact, they told me that MORE women died of chemo than cancer if they were given it when in my situation. Needless to say, I was happy not to have chemo.

The doc did say that a mastectomy was a choice, but he also said it was not medically necessary.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:38 PM

3. I thought the research supported this over 20 years ago

and it was the standard of care.

Reply to this post

Response to cbayer (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:58 PM

4. Yes, research showed that both treaments were the same as far as mortality

This study shows that lumpectomy + radiation is better.

Reply to this post

Response to question everything (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 02:03 PM

5. Thanks. That jives with my memory logs!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:13 PM

6. I wonder if the greater stress of a drastic operation

also had something to do with it, the mastectomy being more disabling and requiring a much longer recovery period as well as more time under general anesthesia to start with.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread