HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Health » Health (Group) » When my parents became il...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 06:28 PM

When my parents became ill..... great review for a priceless book.

http://www.amazon.com/Excitotoxins-The-Taste-That-Kills/dp/0929173252/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357772508&sr=8-1&keywords=excitotoxins+the+taste+that+kills+by+russell+l.+blaylock

I was in New York and visited a bookstore, and was almost about to walk out when the title Excitotoxins caught my eye. I actually picked the book up thinking it would be about mycotoxins, which are found in mushrooms, and which some WHO scientists have identified as potential carcinogens.

However, upon opening Russell Blaybock's excellent book, I was surprised to find that it was in fact a mystery book - a book written by a neurosurgeon for the purpose of understanding how Parkinson's had struck down one of his parents.

As the son of two parents with Parkinson's, I was entralled by the book's premise - that common food additives could cause demonstrable health problems in sensitive individuals - and shocked that because these effects did not involve the whole population, such additives were deemed to be safe by the FDA. I was also shocked that manufacturers were given the right to add them to food under the guise of "spices", "natural flavoring" and other non de plumes.

When my parents first became ill, I did a large amount of research into Parkinson's and related illnesses. One of the more interesting aspects I came across was the discovery by some researchers that sebhoric dermatitis and Parkinson's may have a link. Being a recent sufferer of this annoying skin condition, my heart sunk on hearing this news.

However, since reading Excitotoxins I have made an effort to rid myself of any intake of the toxic additives mentioned in the book. It should come as no surprise that my skin problem has gone. My energy level has doubled.

I recently visited my parents and gave them a copy of this book. My parents, who put their trust in general practitioners early in their diagnosis and saw themselves travel quickly down hill, have long since learned to look after themselves through greater knowledge, and careful use of supplements and alternative medicines. You should know that my parents are now far better than they were some years ago, and are on the slow road to stabilisation and recovery. Such things are possible if you dig deep enough and believe that things like Parkinson's do have a cause, and then work to get back your health.

I believe this is an exceptionally important book, but only for sensitive individuals. Most people will remain unaffected by neurological disorders - for them, this is not an important book at all. For the rest of us, especially those of us with a genetic possibility of such sensitivity to additives, this book could well put years on our lives. I feel it has already done so for me.

Thank you, Dr. Blaylock.

17 replies, 1214 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to 2on2u (Original post)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 07:31 PM

1. from an article on Excitotoxins

"...When you eat real, whole foods, you automatically avoid MSG, asparatme and other excitotoxins. No need to memorize the whole list of different food additives and E numbers, simply skip the processed junk and EAT REAL FOOD!..."

hard to keep track of all additives so this advice is excellent!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 08:36 PM

2. Aspartame was rejected for years by the FDA

It finally got approved for dry foods in 1981 and soft drinks in 1983. What changed? The CEO of its manufacturer GD Searle was DONALD RUMSFELD, who had just served as Secretary of Defense under Gerald Ford and obviously still had connections in Washington.

Two of the byproducts that aspartame breaks down to in its life cycle are methanol (wood alcohol) and formaldehyde. Nasty stuff.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasBushwhacker (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 10:59 PM

3. A cumulative toxin that builds up in the liver if I remember what I read some years ago. n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 09:44 AM

4. Just curious: Was that your review or just

a review you found on Amazon for that book?

Reply to this post

Response to MineralMan (Reply #4)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 07:02 PM

6. That was a review from Amazon for that book. Since I have read on the topic, and since I

can appreciate what it means for people to be sensitive to various chemicals, additives, foods and whatnot I found it to be information that may benefit people who haven't been "exposed" to it.

Reply to this post

Response to 2on2u (Reply #6)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:06 AM

9. I see. I though it was something you wrote.

Have you read the book, yourself?

Reply to this post

Response to MineralMan (Reply #9)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 06:11 PM

11. I have not read that particular book, however I have read Toxic Metal Syndrome, It's All In Your

Head, The Brain Wellness Plan, The Homocysteine Revolution, The Coenzyme Q10 Phenomenon, The Lipoic Acid Breakthrough, Brain Allergies and so forth. The subjects fascinate for personal reasons I wish I didn't have to remember.

Reply to this post

Response to 2on2u (Reply #11)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 07:49 PM

12. I find it disturbing that you are recommending

a book you have not read. That makes it seem like you are advertising that book. In addition, your signature line contains a link to a company dedicated to selling supplements. It is disturbing.

Reply to this post

Response to MineralMan (Reply #12)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 07:54 PM

13. ...

Reply to this post

Response to MineralMan (Reply #12)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 07:03 PM

17. Disturbed

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 12:14 PM

5. I wonder how food additives were able to cause Parkinson's disease in ancient people.

Because it's a disease that has apparently affected our species its entire history. It was documented by the Indians a few thousand years ago. Did they use aspartame back then?

Reply to this post

Response to trotsky (Reply #5)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 07:10 PM

7. Aspartame has been associated with MS type symptoms..... other chemicals and additives

have been linked to Parkinson's, pesticides for one. Genetic flaws that involve superoxide dismutase, responsible for clearing out stale neurotransmitters and helping detox the brain environment.

http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/article/28882
More proof of pesticide-Parkinson's link
Email this article
Date: 2013-01-03
Phone: (310) 794-2265
Email: mwheeler@mednet.ucla.edu
LOS ANGELES For several years, neurologists at UCLA have been building a case that a link exists between pesticides and Parkinson's disease. To date, paraquat, maneb and ziram common chemicals sprayed in California's Central Valley and elsewhere have been tied to increases in the disease, not only among farmworkers but in individuals who simply lived or worked near fields and likely inhaled drifting particles.

Now, UCLA researchers have discovered a link between Parkinson's and another pesticide, benomyl, whose toxicological effects still linger some 10 years after the chemical was banned by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Even more significantly, the research suggests that the damaging series of events set in motion by benomyl may also occur in people with Parkinson's disease who were never exposed to the pesticide, according to Jeff Bronstein, senior author of the study and a professor of neurology at UCLA, and his colleagues.

Benomyl exposure, they say, starts a cascade of cellular events that may lead to Parkinson's. The pesticide prevents an enzyme called ALDH (aldehyde dehydrogenase) from keeping a lid on DOPAL, a toxin that naturally occurs in the brain. When left unchecked by ALDH, DOPAL accumulates, damages neurons and increases an individual's risk of developing Parkinson's.

Reply to this post

Response to 2on2u (Reply #7)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:47 AM

8. Well that makes sense.

If aspartame was around a few thousand years ago to cause Parkinson's in India, certainly it would have still been around when cases of MS were being described and documented in the Middle Ages. Damn those modern chemicals that have plagued humankind for millenia!

Reply to this post

Response to trotsky (Reply #8)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 06:09 PM

10. Romans used lead pipes for plumbing, perhaps they weren't the only ones. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to 2on2u (Reply #10)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 03:23 PM

14. Did they pump aspartame through those pipes?

Crazy Romans!

Reply to this post

Response to trotsky (Reply #14)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 07:01 PM

16. Hah!! Good one, hadn't thought of that. n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 05:38 PM

15. my dad had Parkinson's

I don't think he had much exposure to excitotoxins but he was always spraying his roses. I think that is what caused it. Pesticides are a known cause of Parkinson's.

I react to aspartame by getting very scary flashes in front of my eyes. Also I have reacted to Chinese food in the same way. Now I completely avoid both. One would hope that opthamologists would ask about these things. There is no telling how many people have odd neurological symptoms and have no idea that aspartame can cause them.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread