HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Health » Health (Group) » Facing Deadline, Most Sta...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:18 AM

Facing Deadline, Most States Say No To Running Their Own Insurance Exchanges

The Obama administration will have to build and operate online health insurance markets for more than 30 states, something few expected when the federal health law was approved in 2010.

With today’s deadline hours away, only 17 states and the District of Columbia have proposed running their own insurance markets, also known as exchanges, a key vehicle under the law to expand health coverage to an estimated 23 million people over next four years. A final count was expected to be announced later today.

“Most analysts did not anticipate that the federal government would end up playing such a big role in the operation of exchanges nationwide,” said Carolyn Pearson, a director at the Washington, D.C., consulting firm Avalere Health.

When President Barack Obama signed the Affordable Care Act, the option to have the federal government run the state markets was seen as a backstop. Administration officials have repeatedly said they hoped most states would run the markets themselves because they know their insurance markets best.

http://capsules.kaiserhealthnews.org/index.php/2012/12/facing-deadline-most-states-say-no-to-running-their-own-insurance-exchanges/

7 replies, 965 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Facing Deadline, Most States Say No To Running Their Own Insurance Exchanges (Original post)
bemildred Dec 2012 OP
upaloopa Dec 2012 #1
Surya Gayatri Dec 2012 #2
bemildred Dec 2012 #3
cbayer Dec 2012 #4
Schema Thing Dec 2012 #5
MineralMan Dec 2012 #6
pizaro Dec 2012 #7

Response to bemildred (Original post)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:24 AM

1. Just have the damned "robust public option"

Let the states opt out and compete with insurance cos in their states. Undercut the insurance cos and provide better care.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:25 AM

2. Just the "slippery slope" to Universal Single Payer. Surely a positive development?

Reply to this post

Response to Surya Gayatri (Reply #2)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:28 AM

3. I think it's great. So yeah. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Surya Gayatri (Reply #2)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:41 AM

4. My thoughts as well.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:50 AM

5. win win win

Those states that are going ahead with their own exchanges are no doubt states that will do so enthusiastically and competently.

Ironically the states that are turning it over to the Feds, are states that would do a shitty, half-hearted job; probably turning the job over to insurance lobbyist to the extent possible.

And the Feds have every reason to force insurance companies to be as competitive as possible, at least under this administration.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:54 AM

6. Minnesota will set up its own exchange.

I have good confidence that they'll do a good job. Current health insurance policies here are not bad at all, even if the prices are high. We'll see what they come up with for the exchange. I'm past that, and am on Medicare, but my wife is still 10 years from Medicare, and is looking forward to maybe being able to save some money on her premium. She has a pre-existing condition, so is stuck with the very expensive policy she now has.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 01:31 PM

7. Spam deleted by hlthe2b (MIR Team)

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread