HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Health » Health (Group) » Light smoking 'doubles su...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 10:15 PM

Light smoking 'doubles sudden heart death risk in women'

By Michelle Roberts
Health editor, BBC News online

Women who are light smokers - including those who smoke just one cigarette a day - double their chance of sudden death, a large study suggests.

The research tracked the health of 101,000 US nurses over three decades.

Light-to-moderate smokers were twice as likely to die of sudden heart problems than those who had never smoked.

But those who quit smoking saw their risk begin to go back down within years, a journal of the American Heart Association reports ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20676337

5 replies, 798 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Light smoking 'doubles sudden heart death risk in women' (Original post)
struggle4progress Dec 2012 OP
MADem Dec 2012 #1
Chemisse Dec 2012 #4
MADem Dec 2012 #5
struggle14 Dec 2012 #2
hrmjustin Dec 2012 #3

Response to struggle4progress (Original post)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 10:25 PM

1. What about people who live in urban areas?

Many years ago, in the late eighties, I took a business trip to LA, and stayed right on Rodeo Drive in that fancy hotel that all the celebrities stay in (thought it was overrated, too, but that's beside the point).

The air was so foul it was like breathing soup, but I didn't figure that out straight-away; I just thought the place stunk. I decided to go for a walk (stupid me--no one walks in that town) and I was hacking like a three-pack-a-dayer by the time I got back to my suite!

NYC smells pretty bad, too--or at least it did the last time I was there a couple of years back. All those exhaust fumes...

I wonder if someone smoking one to three cigarettes a day in pristine Vermont is better or worse off than some non smoking gym rat health nut having to breathe the crap air in LA?

I know a lady of around ninety who smokes a cigarette every day. Just one, after dinner, she goes outside her assisted living facility and lights up! I'm not gonna tell her about this report...!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MADem (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 05:35 AM

4. LOL - if she is 90, she probably figures she's had a good run, and has already beat the odds on this

I wonder if 1 cigarette a day = secondary smoke from husband who smokes in the bathroom many times per day.

This may help me convince him to switch to outdoors. If I have to, I'll resort to 'how would you feel if I dropped dead because of this smoke?' Of course he will laugh at the drama, but it may just sink in.

Reply to this post

Response to Chemisse (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 02:51 AM

5. I think she's just got some lucky genetic code...I think she smoked more when she was younger.

She's slowed down in her old age!

She also takes a good slug of brandy (just one) every evening, and gets real irritated when she runs out--I've made Ye Olde Booze Run for her a time or two.

If you have cold weather in your neck of the woods, tossing the spouse out on the porch might motivate him to quit or go to those e-cigs or patches!

Reply to this post

Response to struggle4progress (Original post)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 10:28 PM

2. Spam deleted by NRaleighLiberal (MIR Team)

Reply to this post

Response to struggle14 (Reply #2)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 10:33 PM

3. Welcome to DU and I hope you enjoy the site.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread