HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Health » Health (Group) » Pertussis Immunity May Wa...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 03:39 PM

Pertussis Immunity May Wane, But Vaccine Still Offers Protection

http://shotofprevention.com/2012/11/30/pertussis-immunity-may-wane-but-vaccine-still-offers-protection/

"...

So, why vaccinate?

Well, despite the apparent limitations of the vaccination, receiving a vaccine that may only be 71% effective five years after receiving it is still better than not vaccinating, having 0% chance of protection and relying on a decreasing level of community immunity.

Consider thisÖif your child contracts pertussis, one of three things may happen:

1) Your child suffers with symptoms, but eventually recovers.
2) Your child suffers with symptoms, and eventually recovers with health issues or permanent disabilities.
3) Your child suffers with symptoms, and eventually succumbs to this dangerous disease.

While most parents want to believe that their child would be the one to make a complete recovery, isnít it better to try to reduce the risk of contracting pertussis in the first place by ensuring your child is vaccinated?

..."

FYI...

5 replies, 656 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pertussis Immunity May Wane, But Vaccine Still Offers Protection (Original post)
HuckleB Nov 2012 OP
thereismore Nov 2012 #1
HuckleB Nov 2012 #2
Chemisse Nov 2012 #3
SheilaT Dec 2012 #4
xchrom Dec 2012 #5

Response to HuckleB (Original post)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 03:44 PM

1. Only immunocompromised people have 0% chance of protection against B. pertussis.

Not getting a vaccine is not equal to having 0% protection.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to thereismore (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 04:11 PM

2. Yes, and that is such an important point.

Er, wait.

(Of course, even immunocompromised folks still have an immune system, just not a fully functioning one.)

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 07:15 PM

3. If infants are in the most danger

Maybe new parents and caretakers should receive boosters of this every ten years along with the tetanus shots.

Or they might want to reconsider the new formula.

Reply to this post

Response to Chemisse (Reply #3)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 01:35 AM

4. A couple of years ago I

needed a tetanus booster, knowing it had been at least 10 years since my last one. I was given a DPT shot, although if I understood correctly, it was formulated somewhat differently for an adult, compared to the shot given a kid.

A might be totally wrong about that. Perhaps there's only one kind of DPT shot.

As for residual immunity from long-ago vaccines, I recall reading somewhere that in the last outbreak of smallpox in this country, which was in 1948 I think, there was evidence that smallpox vaccinations given as long as 50 years earlier still conveyed protection. Similar kind of thing.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:27 AM

5. du rec. nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread