HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Health » Health (Group) » Daily caffeine improves P...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 09:14 AM

Daily caffeine improves Parkinson's mobility problems

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21528765.000-daily-caffeine-improves-parkinsons-mobility-problems.html

COFFEE can give you the shakes, but caffeine seems to have the opposite effect in people with Parkinson's disease, helping to relieve tremors and get them back on the move.

In the past, caffeine has been shown to reduce the risk of Parkinson's, but its effects have never been tested in people who already have the disease.

Ronald Postuma of McGill University in Montreal, Canada, and colleagues gave 61 people with Parkinson's a 6-week course of pills containing the caffeine equivalent of about three cups of coffee every day, or a placebo.

Only people in the caffeine group showed a significant improvement in tests for motor problems, such as the severity of their tremors, and general mobility (Neurology, DOI: 10.1212/WNL.0b013e318263570d).

2 replies, 793 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Daily caffeine improves Parkinson's mobility problems (Original post)
xchrom Aug 2012 OP
napi21 Aug 2012 #1
nelson554 Nov 2012 #2

Response to xchrom (Original post)

Sat Aug 11, 2012, 08:54 PM

1. I've never been diagnosed with parkinsons, but I have tremors, and HAVE been told "NO COFFEE"

due to the caffine making the tremors worse. I find it interesting that a study suggests it would help!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to xchrom (Original post)

Fri Nov 23, 2012, 08:40 AM

2. Re:Caffine

Hi all According to me caffeine has been shown to reduce the risk of Parkinson's, but its effects have never been tested in people who already have the disease.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread