HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Health » Health (Group) » Styling Practices Can Lea...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 07:26 PM

Styling Practices Can Lead to Serious Hair and Scalp Diseases for African Americans

Hair is an extremely important aspect of an African-American woman's appearance," says Dr. Jackson-Richards, director of Henry Ford's Multicultural Dermatology Clinic. "Yet, many women who have a hair or scalp disease do not feel their physician takes them seriously. Physicians should become more familiar with the culturally accepted treatments for these diseases."

Dr. Jackson-Richards says proper hair care can help prevent the onset of such diseases like seborrheic dermatitis and alopecia, and that dermatologists need to become more sensitive to the hair and scalp plights of African Americans.

snip

African-American women are known to shampoo their hair less frequently than other ethnic groups, and an estimated 80 percent of them use chemical relaxers. Frequent use of blow dryers and hot combs, combined with popular hair styles like hair weaves, braids and dreadlocks, add physical stress to the hair and contribute to scalp diseases like alopecia, or hair loss.

snip

Dr. Jackson-Richards suggests these grooming tips for patients to reduce their risk of developing a hair or scalp disease:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120319111540.htm

5 replies, 1141 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Styling Practices Can Lead to Serious Hair and Scalp Diseases for African Americans (Original post)
snagglepuss Mar 2012 OP
Deep13 Mar 2012 #1
ProgressiveProfessor Mar 2012 #3
Deep13 Mar 2012 #4
cbayer Mar 2012 #2
hedgehog Mar 2012 #5

Response to snagglepuss (Original post)

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 07:30 PM

1. Save the 'Fro!

Seriously, this is bad.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Deep13 (Reply #1)

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 09:52 PM

3. My wife did some form of natural hairstyle most of her life...

Like many men, fashion and style elude me, and I cannot fathom why so many women straighten their hair given the damage it causes.

Reply to this post

Response to ProgressiveProfessor (Reply #3)

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 10:32 PM

4. I don't either, but I respectfully offer this suggestion:

'nuff said.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 07:32 PM

2. Chris Rock did a really good documentary on this - Good Hair

Good Hair
2009PG-1395 minutes

Actor and stand-up comic Chris Rock hops around the world going from beauty salons to science labs to comb through the mystery of African American hair in director Jeff Stilson's astute, hilarious documentary. Rock contemplates the purpose and application of a weave as well as women's self-esteem and their locks. He also gains varying insights from Ice-T, Nia Long, Rev. Al Sharpton, Raven-Symoné, Maya Angelou and other celebrities.

Cast:
Chris Rock, Raven-Symoné, Maya Angelou, Eve, Meagan Good, Ice-T, KRS-One, Al Sharpton, Nia Long
Director:
Jeff Stilson
Genres:
Documentaries, Social & Cultural Documentaries

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Good-Hair/70112745

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 01:15 PM

5. Kind of a side issue, and no where near the kind of pressure

society puts on black women, but I notice more and more it is assumed that white women must dye their hair something other than its natural color. No make-over show is complete without the dye job with highlights! It used to be "to cover the gray", now even young women are dying their hair.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread