HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » Women's Rights & Issues (Group) » Republic of Rape

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 10:57 AM

Republic of Rape

By Satya Sagar

Friday, January 11, 2013

Dear Joanna,

Thanks for your letter. Yes, as Indians, many of us are deeply ashamed of this tragic incident, even more so as it is part of a larger context of rampant violence against women in this country.

On top of having the world’s largest numbers of those living in absolute poverty, suffering severe malnutrition or without sanitation and shelter we have also today become the globe’s foremost Republic of Rape.

You have asked in your letter why exactly is it that India has such a high number of rapes? You also ask if any meaningful long-term measures will result from all the public outrage on display currently?

http://www.zcommunications.org/republic-of-rape-by-satya-sagar

3 replies, 548 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Republic of Rape (Original post)
polly7 Jan 2013 OP
niyad Jan 2013 #1
polly7 Jan 2013 #2
niyad Jan 2013 #3

Response to polly7 (Original post)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 11:35 AM

1. k and r--thank you for sharing this valuable letter

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to niyad (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 02:06 PM

2. You're welcome niyad.

It was really an informative letter for me to read about India's religious and cultural hx. and the effects of war and colonialism - all, it seems, always with horrific cost for women and children. I always understood India to be one of the most advanced, tolerant countries in the region .... I'm not sure why. This person (I had said lady, but I don't know if it's a man or a woman!, I'll have to look that up) spells out just how bad it's been.

Reply to this post

Response to polly7 (Original post)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 11:44 AM

3. . . .

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread