HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » Women's Rights & Issues (Group) » Should the Indian Gang Ra...

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 11:10 AM

Should the Indian Gang Rape Victim Remain Anonymous?

By Krista MahrJan. 04, 2013

... For weeks, protesters and newspapers have used a series of symbolic names to refer to the 23-year-old physiotherapy student that died on Dec. 29 due to injuries inflicted on her during a brutal gang rape last month. One network calls her “the Braveheart”; another calls her “Amanat,” or treasure. That’s because Indian law prohibits that the name of victims of rape to be made public, and the Indian press, which has reported extensively on the victim’s family, friends and hometown, has taken great care to obscure any details that may out her identity ...

... Earlier this week, Minister of Human Resource Development Shashi Tharoor wondered aloud on his popular Twitter feed what, exactly, was the purpose of keeping the victim’s name shrouded in secrecy: “Why not name&honour her as a real person w/own identity?” he wrote on January 1. “Unless her parents object, she should be honoured & the revised anti-rape law named after her. She was a human being w/a name, not just a symbol” ...

... Support for Tharoor’s idea has come from protesters, activists, and now the victim’s father. He told news network CNN-IBN that naming the revised anti-rape law after his daughter would be “a step in the right direction” in a recent interview. “A law named after an individual, for whom the entire country came together, will obviously be much more effective,” he said ...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/behind-malalas-hospital-discharge-the-early-signs-of-her-excellent-progress/article6938515/

4 replies, 971 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Should the Indian Gang Rape Victim Remain Anonymous? (Original post)
struggle4progress Jan 2013 OP
JustAnotherGen Jan 2013 #1
Gormy Cuss Jan 2013 #2
niyad Jan 2013 #3
struggle4progress Jan 2013 #4

Response to struggle4progress (Original post)

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 11:22 AM

1. Depends on

The laws surrounding that in her country and well - how her surviving family members feel about it. Sometimes a sensitivity chip is a good thing.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 05:19 PM

2. She's dead and at least one parent supports this, so I am inclined to agree to naming her.

Having her name attached to the law will keep this horrible story alive and her death will stand as a testament to the change in how India regards rape.

I recognize that it could be difficult for some of her family members to have her become a household name but I hope that like her father most are willing to sacrifice a little privacy for this.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 4, 2013, 09:22 PM

3. if her family are willing, then I think this might be a good idea, although I wonder how much

more the family would suffer from this.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 09:44 AM

4. Her father has revealed her name:

"I want the world to know my daughter's name is Jyoti Singh Pandey"
... I am proud of her. Revealing her name will give courage to other women who have survived these attacks. They will find strength from my daughter” ...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014358179

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread