HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » Women's Rights & Issues (Group) » Let's Take Rape Seriously...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 11:09 PM

Let's Take Rape Seriously, and Be Serious About Rape

This discussion thread was locked by obamanut2012 (a host of the Women's Rights & Issues group).

Rape is an inflammatory issue.

I presume we're all against it.

Clearly, when someone who is drugged insensate (alcohol or roofies) and their body sexually violated, it's rape.

But it's not rape when a young man or woman knowingly gets inebriated, possibly for the purpose of having fun, lowering their own inhibitions, even "getting laid," then has second thoughts on sobering up the next morning.

The landmark study that magnified the rape rate was publicized in 1985 in Ms. Magazine. It is, if not proven false, deeply suspect. For example, it says 42% of "victims" defined in the study had sex with their rapists again. Really?

My comment here is anecdotal only, but in my now becoming senior life, I've known only one woman dragged into an alley and forcibly raped. Doesn't mean other women I know haven't been raped and don't talk about it. That one woman's rape was a horrible degrading experience from which I can't imagine isn't haunting her decades later. But I've never known or otherwise heard of any other rapes, of any kind, in my circle of acquaintances.

My wife, who as a woman is more likely to have heard raped women talk openly neither knows a rape victim, nor has heard any other women talking of being raped.

More rape victims than smokers? 1 in 4 women raped?

Only by re-defining "rape" to include behaviors which aren't.

Protecting women who are more likely to be beaten, abused, and, yes, sexually assaulted is undeniably crucial. But making incorrect and unverifiable claims of "rape" won't get us there.

90,000 rapes are reported every year. It just isn't possible to say how many go unreported. But to put the 90,000 in perspective, 90,000 x 80 years = 7,200,000. US female population approximately 180,000,000.

7,200,000 / 180,000,000 = 4.4%

That's so far from 1 in 4 or 25% to be seriously unbelievable, even allowing for many unreported crimes.

Here's some homework, if you're interested.

Neil Gilbert is Chernin Professor of Social Welfare and Social Services at the School of Social Welfare of the University of California at Berkeley. Here's a link to an abstract of his article "Realities and Mythologies of Rape." http://www.d.umn.edu/cla/faculty/jhamlin/3925/MythsGilbert.htm

You MAY find the original 1985 Koss Ms. Magazine article here: http://www.studymode.com/subjects/koss-page1.html

Kos's Ms. Magazine efforts resulted in the book, "I Never Called It Rape: The Ms. Report on Recognizing, Fighting, and Surviving Date and Acquaintance Rape" here: http://www.amazon.com/Never-Called-Rape-Recognizing-Aquaintance/dp/product-description/1439505136

4 replies, 788 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Let's Take Rape Seriously, and Be Serious About Rape (Original post)
rablrouzer Dec 2012 OP
bluestateguy Dec 2012 #1
DURHAM D Dec 2012 #2
rainin Dec 2012 #3
Tumbulu Dec 2012 #4

Response to rablrouzer (Original post)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 11:13 PM

1. And we're off again

Here it comes.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 11:59 PM

2. Why don't you discuss it here -

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021913276

I assume your post is in response to the OP in GD.

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 12:36 AM

3. You could have been my sister's closest friend and you wouldn't have known

that when she was 15, she was picked up by two men and taken to a field, dragged out of the truck, and raped by both of them. She didn't tell her mom, her husband, or her friends. She told me 35 years after it happened. Be skeptical that you know a woman's secrets. She may guard them forever.

Response to rainin (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 01:12 AM

4. So true, of the women that I know

who have been raped, not one of them told anyone other than their best friends about it. Husbands have never been told.

Researchers who are not known to the woman are more likely to be told than family members.

Unfortunately, in our society for most women rape is seen as some sort of personal failure. Failure to be a psychic. Failure to think it is a safe thing to do- go out on a date with a man. Failure to know that any man can flip out on you and rape you. Failure to run away fast enough. Etc etc.

I am a mid 50's aged woman and am white and was raised middle class and I would estimate that half of the women that I have known have been raped. And these are only the ones who have told me about it.