HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » LGBT (Group) » The OFA will call on the ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:20 PM

The OFA will call on the LGBT community, what I found at an OFA last night

The OFA - Collier County Florida office had its grand opening last night; I'm glad I went, and that's because what I learned there changed my mind.

First off, I'm an ally and have been all my life. When OFA contacted me via email I visited their website. Clicking on Issues showed 'Equal Rights' and seven others; Groups showed LGBT Americans and nine others. Yesterday Obama failed on END-A, so I was determined to see for myself if OFA walks the walk.

And it doesn't. Of course not much was expected, being OFA's purpose is to rally the vote. But with LGBT being claimed as both and issue and a group one would expect to find someone, anyone, there to legitimatize it.

It seems election issues, policies and stances have already been determined. Nothing is going to change between now and the election - that I'm sure of. Once again voting for someone because the other is worse has me questioning whether we have made any progress.

7 replies, 1022 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply The OFA will call on the LGBT community, what I found at an OFA last night (Original post)
edgineered Apr 2012 OP
xchrom Apr 2012 #1
DURHAM D Apr 2012 #2
Bluenorthwest Apr 2012 #3
edgineered Apr 2012 #4
William769 Apr 2012 #5
Creideiki Apr 2012 #6
Iggo Apr 2012 #7

Response to edgineered (Original post)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:32 PM

1. No surprise. Centrists tend to use our issues on the down low.

Oh they'll sing w/ the choir after a judicial victory or what ever -- but they don't lead.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:57 PM

2. There will be no plank in the platform for marriage equality.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:17 PM

3. As far as I know, OFA is itself as an organization officially against equality like the President

I'd not think of going to one of their offices, I assume they do not want me there, they 'pray away the gay' and all that. In 08, they were clear as day in their open contempt holding rallies with ex-gay hate preachers and all that. I just don't keep company with prejudiced and ignorant people for any reason.

Reply to this post

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #3)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:25 PM

4. The OFA here is a campaign function of Obama/Biden.

I'll look further into OFA on a search engine. I hope your right, and that I do find another OFA. I have no tolerance for those you've mentioned. Not that I haven't made bigger mistakes..., just different.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:33 PM

5. I have spent half my life in Naples. I live Just north of their now.

All OFA is doing is wasting money there.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 15, 2012, 12:02 AM

6. Obama is still evolving on us

and I'm still evolving on Obama.

Right now, he'll probably get my vote PROVIDED he comes out vocally against the Freedom of Religion amendment we're almost guaranteed of having to endure here in Colorado this year.

Besides, I'll already be voting for the Democrats on down-ticket state races. If 2010 has taught us anything, it's that what happens in the swamp is all well and good, but state politics is far more important. Besides, we'll probably need a super-majority in order to override the inevitable vetoes coming from Hickenuseless.

Reply to this post

Response to Creideiki (Reply #6)

Sun Apr 15, 2012, 09:23 PM

7. He'll get my vote, but he won't get my dollars.

That ended with a two-minute prayer.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread