HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » LGBT (Group) » Prop. 8 Attorneys Boies, ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 03:28 PM

Prop. 8 Attorneys Boies, Olson Team To Get Bully Rating Changed

Attorneys David Boies and Ted Olson, who successfully challenged California’s ban on same-sex marriage, are now urging the MPAA to lower the R rating for the documentaryBully.

Last night while being interviewed at a special screening of the film co-hosted by Boies, Olson, actresses Meryl Streep and her daughter Mamie Gummer, the two attorneys praised the film, a non-fiction chronicle of American schoolchildren being bullied by fellow students, as one that all teenagers should see. The two men even suggested that there could be legal consequences for the MPAA if they don’t reconsider the restrictive rating for the documentary.

“How ridiculous and unfair and damaging it is to have a film of this power and importance that is being censored by a rating system that has got simply no rational basis,” Boies says. “You can kill kids, you can maim them, you can torture them and still get a PG-13 rating, but if they say a couple of bad words you blame them. I hope, for heaven's sake, that they find some rational basis before we have to sue them to revise the rating system."

Olson suggests that students should be permitted to see the film, which will be released March 30, so that they can understand the resulting damage caused by bullying.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2012/03/22/Prop_8_Attorneys_Boies_Olson_Team_To_Get_Bully_Rating_Changed/

4 replies, 817 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Prop. 8 Attorneys Boies, Olson Team To Get Bully Rating Changed (Original post)
William769 Mar 2012 OP
xchrom Mar 2012 #1
William769 Mar 2012 #2
MissMarple Mar 2012 #3
beyurslf Mar 2012 #4

Response to William769 (Original post)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 03:36 PM

1. Mr Olson - you & other republicans are in other situations -

My bitter enemies.

But in cases like this - I take my hat off and offer my thanks.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to xchrom (Reply #1)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 03:42 PM

2. He seems to have a change of heart in certain things.

I wonder if it's because he actually got close to people over Prop8?

What ever the reasons While I still oppose him on other conservative view these tow are very welcomed indeed.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 04:26 PM

3. Well, they are becoming quite the pair.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 09:15 PM

4. I love that he references The Hunger Games.

What a great example of the hypocrisy in the ratings system. A movie about kids killing other kids is PG 13 but a movie with a few swear words is rated R.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread