HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » LGBT (Group) » Got this today: Tomorrow...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 06:03 PM

Got this today: Tomorrow is the first annual National GSA Day

Tomorrow is the first annual National GSA Day - will you celebrate with GSA Network and Senator Franken by calling your Senator?

GSA Network just sent our letter supporting the Student Non-Discrimination Act (SNDA) to all United States Senators. Now, we're asking you to take two simple steps to join in the activism and excitement of National GSA Day!

1. Join a national call with Senator Al Franken of Minnesota: Senator Franken wants to talk to YOU tomorrow! After school on National GSA Day, Senator Franken will host a public call devoted to the work GSA activists can do to get this important bill passed. RSVP to emily_riff@franken.senate.gov by midnight tonight if you'd like to be a part of the call!

2. Call your Senator on National GSA Day and ask them to support the Student Non-Discrimination Act! You can reach your Senator by calling the Senate switchboard at 202.224.3121 and asking for your Senator. Not sure what to say? We've got a script for you!

Celebrate National GSA Day by advocating for essential protections for all students. Together, we can make it better!

In Solidarity,
Gay-Straight Alliance Network

About the Student Non-Discrimination Act:
The Student Non-Discrimination Act (SNDA) is a much-needed bill that will give students the federal right to be free from discrimination, harassment and bullying based on a student's actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity.

About National Gay-Straight Alliance Day:
Coordinated and sponsored nationally by Iowa Pride Network (IPN), National GSA Day will be held on January 25, 2012. GSA Day is a time to strengthen the bond between LGBT people and straight allies and in particular recognize and honor student organizations called Gay-Straight Alliances (also known as a GSA). These student led groups work to educate their peers to stop homophobia, transphobia and violence in schools and colleges throughout the country.

www.makeitbetterproject.org
www.gsanetwork.org

2 replies, 418 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Got this today: Tomorrow is the first annual National GSA Day (Original post)
EFerrari Jan 2012 OP
trickyguy Jan 2012 #1
EFerrari Jan 2012 #2

Response to EFerrari (Original post)

Wed Jan 25, 2012, 10:18 PM

1. You've got me.

Fortunately, we have a GSA at the HS in my small town.
I've spoken there about gay history once. I know students who attend the meetings.
It's a very important element in the mix of being in HS.

I'll try to call my Senator tomorrow.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to trickyguy (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 25, 2012, 10:27 PM

2. Cool.

I finally got an email back from GSA on a volunteer inquiry. It's probably not the right placement for me but who knows, there are two groups at high schools about a mile away in two directions, maybe somebody needs something I can do. The right place for me is probably a crisis hotline, like the Trevor Project but I read they won't be screening a new batch until February.

I bet there are LGBT Dream Act kids around here. I'd like to work right there.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread