HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » LGBT (Group) » Gays Debate 'Pinkwashing'...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 05:08 AM

Gays Debate 'Pinkwashing' as N.Y. Center Reverses Ban on Israel-Related Events

“We vehemently oppose the absurd accusations by some groups that Israel is engaged in so-called pinkwashing. We find this cause offensive and fundamentally detrimental to the global cause of LGBT equality,” the officials wrote.

Poupko said that the speaker’s office had a brief, routine consultation with the JCRC about the statement before it was issued.

The criticism of pinkwashing from the elected officials comes a month before the CUNY conference organized by Schulman, titled the “Homonationalism and Pinkwashing Conference.” The academic conference, which will feature 189 speakers, will address “Homonationalism.” According to conference materials, this is something that “occurs when sub-sectors of specific gay communities achieve legal parity with heterosexuals and then embrace racial and religious supremacy ideologies.”

Jewish activists say they have decided not to protest the conference vocally. “This is a small group of radical left scholars, so the consensus is to allow academic freedom and just ignore ,” Michaelson said.

Read more: http://forward.com/articles/171503/gays-debate-pinkwashing-as-ny-center-reverses-ban/?p=all#ixzz2LcZjQc56

7 replies, 784 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Gays Debate 'Pinkwashing' as N.Y. Center Reverses Ban on Israel-Related Events (Original post)
Behind the Aegis Feb 2013 OP
Smarmie Doofus Feb 2013 #1
uriel1972 Feb 2013 #2
stevenleser Feb 2013 #4
uriel1972 Feb 2013 #5
Behind the Aegis Feb 2013 #6
Old Union Guy Feb 2013 #3
dsc Feb 2013 #7

Response to Behind the Aegis (Original post)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 07:27 AM

1. Wow. I'm getting lazy, old or stupid.

Maybe all three.

But there's so many twists and turns and shades and hues here; I'm completely lost.

Someone wanna simplify this for the ....ummmm..... cognitively impaired?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Smarmie Doofus (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 07:34 AM

2. Great minds think alike, or is it fools never differ...

I'm having trouble getting my head around this. Is "Pinkwashing" using apparent "gay friendliness" to attract GLBT to your cause so you can say "Hey look, I don't discriminate." whilst discriminating against some other community? I'm just not sure.

Reply to this post

Response to uriel1972 (Reply #2)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:06 PM

4. That, I think, is the contention by a small minority. They claim...

Israel is saying "look, we're good on LGBT equality so we are perfect everywhere including toward the Palestinians".

I've never heard such an argument put forth by anyone trying to speak in favor of Israel and it would sound ridiculous if they did.

Reply to this post

Response to stevenleser (Reply #4)

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 01:16 AM

5. Yeah, it just isn't making any sense to me...

The whole conspiracy element is a little silly.

Reply to this post

Response to uriel1972 (Reply #2)

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 02:34 AM

6. You got it correct.

It is a bizarre situation and is total bullshit. In reality, it is now actually used against LGBT people in some cases, so that it was started by a lesbian is pretty sickening.

Reply to this post

Response to Smarmie Doofus (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 05:22 PM

3. If "Israel == Evil" is a given ...

... then there must be a nefarious explanation for Israel being good on gay rights.

That's what's going on here.

So say anti-Israel types who claim to be nice and liberal on gay rights but are reliable allies of people who execute gays.

Reply to this post

Response to Behind the Aegis (Original post)

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 11:47 AM

7. On one level this is good news

It wasn't all that long ago that the notion that being kind to gays would improve ones image would have been laughed out of the park.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread