HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » LGBT (Group) » Dozens of supporters pack...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 05:58 PM

Dozens of supporters pack Lake County meeting on 'gay-straight' middle school club

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-gay-straight-club-lake-20130218,0,3605634.story

Dozens of people showed up to a Lake County School Board meeting this afternoon wearing red shirts and holding signs in support of a proposed Gay-Straight Alliance student club at Carver Middle School in Leesburg.

Board members were slated to discuss rules for student clubs that, if approved, would stop the gay-straight student group from forming.

So many supporters turned that the School Board had to move its special meeting from a district board room to the Tavares High School auditorium to accommodate the large crowd.

The board discussion comes after the American Civil Liberties Union backed 14-year-old Bayli Silberstein, an eighth-grader who is trying to start a Gay-Straight Alliance club at Carver Middle School. Bayli says the club is needed to help combat bullying of gay students at her school.

In a nutshell, the conservatives who run Lake County would rather shut down ALL extra-curricular clubs than allow a club that promotes tolerance.

If you really want to witness the seedy underbelly that fuels this sort of hateful mindset, look no further than the comments to this article.

4 replies, 744 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Dozens of supporters pack Lake County meeting on 'gay-straight' middle school club (Original post)
Hugabear Feb 2013 OP
uriel1972 Feb 2013 #1
teenagebambam Feb 2013 #2
Initech Feb 2013 #3
Evasporque Mar 2013 #4

Response to Hugabear (Original post)

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 06:21 PM

1. Sometimes it's hard to remember there are

"Straight" people willing to help. This lifts my heart, but it still seems we have so far to go at the same time.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 07:44 PM

2. My apologies to Floridian DU'ers

but I'm so glad to be away from there. I've never lived in a more ignorant, hateful place.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:42 PM

3. It's truly disgusting the amount of hate spewed by those that claim to be "godly".

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 11, 2013, 02:57 PM

4. scortched earth conservatisim....kill it all with fire....nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread