HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » LGBT (Group) » Boy Scouts Considering En...

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 01:35 PM

Boy Scouts Considering Ending Ban Of Gay Members

Well, maybe NOT THAT GREAT NEWS:

The Boy Scouts of America is seriously considering ending its decades-long ban on allowing gay members and leaders, a policy which has brought a lot of controversy in recent years, NBC News reports. The policy change now under consideration would remove the ban at the national level but allow local chapters to decide weather to continue to ban gay scouts.

If adopted by the organizationís board of directors, it would represent a profound change on an issue that has been highly controversial -- one that even went to the US Supreme Court. The new policy, now under discussion, would eliminate the ban from the national organizationís rules, leaving local sponsoring organizations free to decide for themselves whether to admit gay scouts.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/boy-scouts-considering-ending-ban-of-gay-members

Seems kind of a cowardly stance on equal rights to me.

10 replies, 956 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Boy Scouts Considering Ending Ban Of Gay Members (Original post)
DryRain Jan 2013 OP
stopbush Jan 2013 #1
Fearless Jan 2013 #2
DryRain Jan 2013 #4
Fresh_Start Jan 2013 #3
dbackjon Jan 2013 #5
DryRain Jan 2013 #6
Gothmog Jan 2013 #7
DryRain Jan 2013 #8
William769 Jan 2013 #9
William769 Jan 2013 #10

Response to DryRain (Original post)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 01:41 PM

1. And it looks like the BSA ban on atheists would continue.

All this will do will allow local troops to claim that they aren't anti-gay while they remain anti-gay.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to stopbush (Reply #1)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 01:44 PM

2. We'll see if even anything happens.

I won't hold my breath.

Reply to this post

Response to stopbush (Reply #1)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 01:51 PM

4. Bans of either group seems pretty stupid and unenforceabe to me

I knew many gay scouts (boys who later turned out to be gay), and a couple of gay scout leaders, when I was in one of the ten tropps in my local town's scout troops. I advanced somewhere behond First Class before other interests took over my life in JHS.

I never knew an atheist, (didn't know I was one until years later), and would be surprised to find many atheists in organization made up mostly of young men and boys under 18. Of course atheist would have to be as brave as openly gay scouts, if they knew already that they were atheists, and doubly brave if they were both gay and atheist, but why not allow and encourage such individuality and self-esteem among ALL sorts of young men? The YMCA in my town encouraged Jewish kids to join, and never lectured them about Christianity, those Jewish kids played sports and swam and went to Y summer camp along with me. Come to think of it, the Y was a more fun place to be than the scout troop, where we held flags, learned to march and recite an oath and motto, none of that happened at the Y. Boy Scouts was more like being in the military than being in a club for boys where they learn lots of neat stuff and play lots of fun games and engage in individual sports like at the Y.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 02:05 PM

5. Hey, they are just following President Obama's lead

Leave it to the locals to decide if gays are worthy of protection!!

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 02:15 PM

6. Thread about this topic in Late Breaking News here:

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 02:33 PM

7. This may be the best that we can hope for

Right now, most large councils operate on a "don't ask, don't tell" policy where so long as you do not wear your scout uniform to a gay pride event, the national policy is not enforced. The Dale case involved a young leader who wore his uniform to a gay pride event and forced the BSA to act.

Many Districts have leaders who everyone knows are gay. I am told that there are 8 or so leaders in my local district who are gay including several who trained me a decade or so ago. No one cares about these leaders being gay.

The proposed compromise is designed to answer some concerns from the LDS units. LDS may make up less than 5% of the population but LDS chartered units account for 15% to 25% of the units chartered in all of scouting. It sounds like the proposed policy will allow chartering organizations (in my case my reformed Jewish congregation) to make up their own minds as to the qualifications of their leaders and members. My unit has made it clear that we will ignore and not ask about the sexual orientation of any leaders and so we are in technical compliance with the national policy. The local and council leaders are happy with this approach in that no one wants a fight (my temple has a number of members who are on the board of the local United Way board).

A large number of leaders have been working from within the BSA to change the current policy and this change will be acceptable to many leaders in that it will make things easier.

BTW, the Dale case could have been decided on different grounds in that the BSA rules are clear than no one is suppose to wear their uniform to any political event. That rule will remain in place even under these changes.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 02:47 PM

8. Full statement by BSA here:

The Boy Scouts of America announced on Monday they were considering enacting a policy change that would lift a national ban on gay members and leaders. Read the full statement obtained by TPM below:

"For more than 100 years, Scoutingís focus has been on working together to deliver the nationís foremost youth program of character development and values-based leadership training. Scouting has always been in an ongoing dialogue with the Scouting family to determine what is in the best interest of the organization and the young people we serve.

Currently, the BSA is discussing potentially removing the national membership restriction regarding sexual orientation. This would mean there would no longer be any national policy regarding sexual orientation, and the chartered organizations that oversee and deliver Scouting would accept membership and select leaders consistent with each organizationís mission, principles, or religious beliefs. BSA members and parents would be able to choose a local unit that best meets the needs of their families.

The policy change under discussion would allow the religious, civic, or educational organizations that oversee and deliver Scouting to determine how to address this issue. The Boy Scouts would not, under any circumstances, dictate a position to units, members, or parents. Under this proposed policy, the BSA would not require any chartered organization to act in ways inconsistent with that organizationís mission, principles, or religious beliefs."

According to NBC News, the policy change could be voted upon and enacted as early as next week.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 04:26 PM

9. Didn't we hear this Song & dance last summer & then at the very BSA said no way.

I won't believe it until I see it in writing.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread