HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » LGBT (Group) » "I Was Fired for Tea...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:40 AM

"I Was Fired for Teaching About Harvey Milk."

http://www.change.org/petitions/lomas-hill-school-officials-publicly-apologize-to-cecilia-hernandez-for-unfair-dismissal-after-showing-milk?utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=url_share&utm_campaign=url_share_before_sign&alert_id=tZsriwYKiv_DOmhKJTdjQ

"My name is Cecilia. I am an honest professional, hard-worker, justice defender and am faithful to my convictions. I am a clinical psychologist with a wide experience with teenagers. I have been working with youth in different social contexts: psychotherapies, educational orientation and in classrooms.

On November 30th, I was the victim of an injustice: I was unjustifiably and aggressively fired from the middle school Colegio Lomas Hill and treated like a delinquent by the schoolís authorities. I was deprived of my freedom for two hours, watched over by security guards and humiliated in front of the institutionís staff and students' families. I have been morally hurt.

Why was I fired? Because I showed the movie "Milk" to my middle school students. The film tells the story of a recognized fighter for gay rights. The prejudices of the school authorities toward the movie and their intolerance on the gender diversity theme were clear and evident, even if the official program requires approaching these subjects."

Mexican schools of today. US schools of tomorrow. If teachers have no job protections and no unions there is no such thing as freedom of thought and freedom of expression in the classroom.

Do we really want people like Gates, Koch and the Walmart clan deciding whether or not ( and HOW) lgbt subjects can be taught in school?

I don't think so. ( Sign the petition, BTW) Thanks.

6 replies, 1087 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply "I Was Fired for Teaching About Harvey Milk." (Original post)
Smarmie Doofus Jan 2013 OP
Bluenorthwest Jan 2013 #1
DryRain Jan 2013 #2
DryRain Jan 2013 #3
RKP5637 Jan 2013 #5
DryRain Jan 2013 #6
RKP5637 Jan 2013 #4

Response to Smarmie Doofus (Original post)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:44 AM

1. More of what Hagel would call 'open, aggressive' teaching of history.

nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:57 AM

2. Ten thousand recs!

Please read link and sign!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 07:03 PM

3. I signed this, and was, personally, hoping more people would

chime in, and tell us what they posted on this woman's petition, now with well over 50,000 signatories.

Reply to this post

Response to DryRain (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 07:27 PM

5. Now at 73,689 signatures !!!

Reply to this post

Response to RKP5637 (Reply #5)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 07:59 PM

6. I think when it gets to 100,000 it will have an impact

100,000 people telling those 5 or 10 or 15 people with extreme bias to get off their asses and stand up for free speech.

I hope this is a little victory among many, bigots cannot continue to run our schools.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 07:26 PM

4. K&R !!! K&R !!! K&R !!! K&R !!!K&R !!! n/t

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread