HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » LGBT (Group) » Hormel questions sincerit...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 09:58 PM

Hormel questions sincerity of Hagel apology for 1998 anti-gay remarks

James Hormel — the nation’s first openly gay ambassador — questioned the sincerity of an apology that former Sen. Chuck Hagel (R) issued on Friday over anti-gay remarks he made in 1998. Hormel pledged to oppose Hagel’s confirmation as defense secretary unless he affirms before the Senate that he will support equal rights for LGBT military families.

Speaking with the Washington Blade from his San Francisco office, Hormel criticized the apology that Hagel issued for calling Hormel “openly aggressively gay” — because it was sent only to media outlets.

“If there is an apology out there in the universe, it hasn’t reached my office,” Hormel added. “So, until that time comes, I’m just doing my work here. When I see an apology, then I’ll consider it.”

Hormel, who since serving in his post in Luxembourg has become a philanthropist and major political donor, further criticized the statement because it was delivered 14 years after the remarks were made and comes at a time when the former senator is seeking high office. President Obama is reportedly considering him for the role of defense secretary, but hasn’t yet made any announcement.

More: http://www.washingtonblade.com/2012/12/21/hormel-questions-sincerity-of-hagel-apology-for-1998-anti-gay-remarks/

X-Post LBN: http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014345228

3 replies, 577 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hormel questions sincerity of Hagel apology for 1998 anti-gay remarks (Original post)
Behind the Aegis Dec 2012 OP
William769 Dec 2012 #1
Behind the Aegis Dec 2012 #2
mitchtv Dec 2012 #3

Response to Behind the Aegis (Original post)

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 02:29 PM

1. I am not buying his so called apology.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to William769 (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 02:49 AM

2. Apparently, Hormel has now recanted as well.

Reading the comments section, I see the hate-mongering libertarian twit, Justin Raimondo, puking his opinion. Gee, I wonder why.

I don't buy his apology, and I damn well doubt there would have EVER been an apology if the president had been a republican. "It's just one song!"

Reply to this post

Response to Behind the Aegis (Original post)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 03:52 PM

3. A pity there is no talent in the Democratic party

but rather reinforce the concept that repubs are tougher than wimpy,peacenik Dems.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread