HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » LGBT (Group) » A church “building projec...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:17 PM

A church “building project” that made a difference

Many churches get super excited about building projects. These projects are supposed to represent big changes to the church, new ideas, progress, and relevance.

Even the fundamentalist churches I’ve attended got excited about building projects, though these usually involved new gymnasiums where we could play the A.W.A.N.A “run around the circle and then go in for the beanbag” games rather than stadium seats or new stages for the worship band.

Still, the idea is the same. If we build THIS, they will come. THIS will further the gospel. THIS will change the world.

Now, sometimes building projects are just needed. Pews fill up. Roofs leak. And, you know, sometimes that 70s shag carpeting in the teen room just needs to go. But the idea that a building proejct is going to shake the foundations of the earth is usually a lie that pastors hype up in order to get in your wallet. That new building isn’t going to single-handedly bring about the kingdom of God. Let’s be real.

http://sarahoverthemoon.com/2012/12/07/a-church-building-project-that-made-a-difference/

2 replies, 540 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply A church “building project” that made a difference (Original post)
dlwickham Dec 2012 OP
xfundy Dec 2012 #1
dlwickham Dec 2012 #2

Response to dlwickham (Original post)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 12:17 AM

1. Churches often build gigantic, expensive spaces.

My sister and her family have for decades attended a Southern Baptist church that has purple carpets (to signal royalty) and fine craftsmanship throughout; rare, fine woods, chandeliers made of precious metals, dining that would rival many restaurants. Huge gym, pool, state of the art sound, video, music, broadcasting.

But they're so full of hate. Rather than listing all they hate, it's easier to state simply that they hate anyone not "thinking" exactly like them. Oh, did they have a fine run! Programs of all sorts, ATMs in several locations, various "ministries" that promised all sorts of things! Especially more hate.

My sister mentioned recently that they're hemorrhaging members, especially the young. Without thinking, I said, "It's their own fault." She agreed.

Many, if not most, churches have been so caught up in politics -- promoting and excusing the viciousness and plague of the Elephant party -- that it became their religion. Even as they spoke of Christ, "the prince of peace," they screamed for more wars, more guns, more violence, death, or close to it, for those they accuse of "sin," and "crimes" that are actually legal practices (such as Planned Parenthood's services), the elimination of civil rights for taxpaying citizens they've never even met, because they "disagree" with their very existence. Screeching about being "persecuted" and crying for "religious freedom" as they simultaneously call for those of all other religions, or none at all, to step aside and shut up and realize they can worship Jesus any way they want, but that's it.

I grew up religious. So many questions, but no one would answer them with anything satisfactory; usually the answer, if I'd been allowed to question the answers for a little bit, was "we'll know when we're dead." End of discussion.

Even though I'd realized it was unbelievable, I continued to try to believe, because FEAR is used as a fine backup:

"Jesus is gonna git yew!"

That phrase, and the propaganda that's been passed around by "christians" for 30+ years, explains a great deal about Americans, IMO.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to xfundy (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 01:13 AM

2. did you even read the article at the link

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread