HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » LGBT (Group) » Gay Marriage Fight Could ...

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 05:11 PM

Gay Marriage Fight Could Head To Supreme Court

SAN FRANCISCO Like a lot of newlyweds, Karen Golinski was eager to enjoy the financial fruits of marriage. Within weeks of her wedding, she applied to add her spouse to her employer-sponsored health care plan, a move that would save the couple thousands of dollars a year.

Her ordinarily routine request still is being debated more than four years later, and by the likes of former attorneys general, a slew of senators, the Obama administration and possibly this week, the U.S. Supreme Court.

Because Golinski is married to another woman and works for the U.S. government, her claim for benefits has morphed into a multi-layered legal challenge to a 1996 law that prohibits the federal government from recognizing unions like hers.

The high court has scheduled a closed-door conference for Friday to review Golinski's case and four others that also seek to overturn the Defense of Marriage Act overwhelmingly approved by Congress and signed by President Bill Clinton ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/25/gay-marriage-supreme-court_n_2188046.html

1 replies, 473 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Gay Marriage Fight Could Head To Supreme Court (Original post)
struggle4progress Nov 2012 OP
David__77 Nov 2012 #1

Response to struggle4progress (Original post)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 05:24 PM

1. Makes me nervous, but so did the MA court decision in 2004.

And here we are 8 years later with states as diverse as WA, MD, and ME voting FOR marriage rights at the ballot box. I think the court can strike down DOMA without ruling that all states have to perform same sex marriages, however. Not all states allow marriage between first cousins, but all states recognize those marriages performed in the states that do.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread