HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » LGBT (Group) » Why Gay Marriage Supporte...

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 09:51 AM

Why Gay Marriage Supporters Want The Supreme Court To 'Shut Up' This Week

http://www.businessinsider.com/supreme-court-hearing-gay-marriage-2012-11

The Supreme Court will meet behind closed doors Friday to decide whether it will hear major gay marriage cases.

The court might hear a challenge to the Defense of Marriage Act -- which defines marriage as between a man and a woman -- and a case involving California's Proposition 8, which banned gay marriage.

The Proposition 8 case could be a bigger game-changer than DOMA, but gay rights advocates are divided about whether the court should take up the issue now or later.

In Prop 8, the Ninth Circuit rejected the state's ban on gay marriage as unconstitutional.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/supreme-court-hearing-gay-marriage-2012-11#ixzz2DFKFIXsW

3 replies, 726 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Why Gay Marriage Supporters Want The Supreme Court To 'Shut Up' This Week (Original post)
xchrom Nov 2012 OP
joeybee12 Nov 2012 #1
pinto Nov 2012 #2
FreeState Nov 2012 #3

Response to xchrom (Original post)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 02:36 PM

1. I wonder, I wonder...

I wonder what they'll do and I wonder if hearing the cases is a good thing.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to joeybee12 (Reply #1)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:24 PM

2. I'd like them to leave Prop 8 ruling stand (unconstitutional); take up the federal benefits appeal.

Which, from a layman's POV, may be likely.

It seems SCOTUS is looking to avoid any state v. federal issues. Yet the federal benefits appeal is clearly a specific issue that pertains to the federal government. In light of the Administration's Don't Ask, Don't Tell call, it would follow that the federal trend continue in broader legal terms.

It'll be interesting to see which cases, if any, they choose to put on the docket for the next session.

Reply to this post

Response to pinto (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:27 PM

3. Thats whatI want too - don't take Prop 8 but take the DOMA cases n/t

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread