HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » LGBT (Group) » The long journey home.
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:37 AM

The long journey home.

May never happen for me.

I was recently in Kentucky to procure a builder on a home on a piece of property that has been in my family since the time of Daniel Boone.

The first hate crime to be prosecuted under Federal law is going on right now in in S.E Kentucky and the person that is attacked is a cousin of mine.

I have lost extended family members over this that for years I considered closer to me than my own family. Threats are on going from both sides (yes I have made my feeling well known, it was not until last year I came out everybody in Kentucky that knew me 1. That I was Gay & 2. That I had AIDS).

I have never been one to shy a way from a fight, but knowing how the law works there and how things are run, I have to look at self preservation.

I have always been a upbeat & optimistic person (the glass is always half full), but I fear, I have finally met my match ( I don't even see visiting there again in the foreseeable future).

I apologize for posting this but I feel I have many friends here & just wanted you all to know if I seem off for awhile, it's for damn good reason.

Bill

5 replies, 595 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply The long journey home. (Original post)
William769 Oct 2012 OP
Buzz505 Oct 2012 #1
William769 Oct 2012 #2
closeupready Oct 2012 #3
William769 Oct 2012 #4
closeupready Oct 2012 #5

Response to William769 (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:43 PM

1. I understand

but why are you building a house there?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Buzz505 (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:46 PM

2. As of yesterday, that has been put on indefinite hold.

Reply to this post

Response to William769 (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 01:53 PM

3. K&R for more comments -

I live in New York and I know SO many gay people who have similar stories - as a transgender friend of mine told me once, "Honey, I would rather DIE than go back home." That's exactly how I feel.

For example, last time I was home, on the main business street was an evangelical chapel with a billboard outside, that said (to paraphrase), "Hypnotism is a tool of Satan!" ....

Did I grow up in a time warp or something? Is this the 21st Century?

Sadly, homophobic strains of religion hold sway over most rural US regions, IMO. It's all they got, since heteros get divorced and remarried multiple times now. I.e., you can't exactly castigate prostitutes and divorcees when the constitution of your parish is mostly that. Gay people are the last minority to whom it's socially acceptable to bash.

to you, Bill!!

Reply to this post

Response to closeupready (Reply #3)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 02:17 PM

4. I posted this last week but it sank like a rock.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/113720957

Although I did not mention I was connected to the story. There is also a lot more to it than what is being reported right now.

Reply to this post

Response to William769 (Reply #4)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 02:30 PM

5. I recall reading about this.

I'm not sure it was from your post; I think it was covered also in the Daily Mail or maybe it came up in Google News? The fact that it's a member of your extended family probably would make it more real for many people, part. those who are not GLBT.

Oh, wait! I remember now - I DID read about it in the Daily Mail. Yeah, it does appear (even from reading solely what has been reported on) that there is a LOT more to this.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread