HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » LGBT (Group) » Donelan Cartoons - NOT fo...

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 05:46 AM

Donelan Cartoons - NOT for the humor impaired (and may not be safe for work)

My first gay cartoons were drawn by Donelan. It was one of the things I loved about growing up as a gay youth.

Gerard P. Donelan (born 1949), known primarily as just Donelan, is an openly-gay cartoonist. He drew "It's a Gay Life", a regular single-panel cartoon feature in The Advocate, for 15 years.

Donelan was born in Boston, but grew up in Plymouth, Massachusetts, the son of advertising artist Paul Donelan. He studied art at Southeastern Massachusetts Technological Institute but did not finish a degree, and went to work in retail. In 1977, disappointed that the pioneering gay comic strip Miss Thing had ended its run in The Advocate, Donelan submitted a cartoon to the publication, which turned into a long-running series of his own. "It's a Gay Life" gently lampooned gay culture of the time, focusing primarily on young and middle-aged gay men. He continued to work in retailing while producing the series, which also yielded two paperback reprints: Drawing on the Gay Experience (1987) and Donelan's Back (1988). His work has appeared in Frontiers magazine, in issues of Gay Comix (including one cover), and in the gay comics anthology Meatmen.

4 replies, 5315 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Donelan Cartoons - NOT for the humor impaired (and may not be safe for work) (Original post)
WillParkinson Jun 2012 OP
xchrom Jun 2012 #1
Diclotican Jun 2012 #2
Prophet 451 Jun 2012 #3
Call Me Wesley Jun 2012 #4

Response to WillParkinson (Original post)

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 05:51 AM

1. love donelan -- the gay version of new yorker cartoons. nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 08:20 AM

2. WillParkinson

WillParkinson

I am not gay - but this was in fact both intelligent, and humor at one plate.. I hope to read more of his cartoons..

Diclotican

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 09:28 AM

3. Love the first one

Really, Hallmark needs to come up with a term for that kind of situation.

Also loved the leg cramps one. Happens to me all the time.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 09:56 AM

4. Didn't know him.

Very nice!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread