HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » LGBT (Group) » Frank gives Obama high ma...

Sat Apr 28, 2012, 06:51 AM

Frank gives Obama high marks on gay issues, rips marriage stance

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/224341-frank-gives-obama-high-marks-on-gay-issues-but-criticizes-his-stance-on-marriage

Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) this week gave President Obama high marks on gay issues, but said it's "a problem" that the administration has declined to endorse gay marriage.

Obama this week stirred criticism from the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community when, during a trip to North Carolina, he declined to weigh in on a pending state bill banning civil unions and domestic partnerships.

Frank, the first openly gay member of Congress, said Obama's silence was expected but disappointing.
"It's not a surprise," Frank said. "He hasn't yet said that he's for marriage, so that's a problem."

5 replies, 899 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Frank gives Obama high marks on gay issues, rips marriage stance (Original post)
xchrom Apr 2012 OP
MNBrewer Apr 2012 #1
nofurylike Apr 2012 #2
Fearless Apr 2012 #3
Bluenorthwest Apr 2012 #4
Fearless Apr 2012 #5

Response to xchrom (Original post)

Sat Apr 28, 2012, 09:20 AM

1. It certainly IS a problem

In the future, when truly Fierce Advocates are in the Oval Office, his tepid administration will be remembered with chagrin.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Apr 28, 2012, 10:45 PM

2. thank you for posting that, xchrom.

"Frank was quick, however, to applaud Obama's overall record on gay issues, giving him an 'A-minus' across the board."

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 01:00 AM

3. I hope the president gets to see the day...

We elect an openly non-heterosexual president. I would love to be a fly on the wall of that meeting.

Reply to this post

Response to Fearless (Reply #3)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 10:20 AM

4. That is the day his own Presidency takes on an ironic asterisk which will then define him

in history. He will go down as the last Democratic President to argue against the rights of some minority groups, and that will get noted right there in the paragraph pointing out his own historical first. Future students will howl with laughter at the strained logic and stark prejudice of his words and actions in office.
Ignorance, in the end, defines most players on history's stage. Ignorance and cowardice.

Reply to this post

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #4)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 10:22 AM

5. Couldn't have said it better myself. +1

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread