HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Offbeat » Creative Speculation (Group) » The 9/11 Truth Movement I...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 11:54 AM

The 9/11 Truth Movement Is Part Of The Conspiracy

I've been writing about Alex Jones and the Tea Party and militia types recently, so naturally my blog has attracted attention from people who believe 9/11 was an inside job. Before we go further, I'd like to make my opinion on this clear: It was.

However, the 9/11 Truth Movement is a key part of the conspiracy to prevent us from learning what really happened on that terrible day. The conspiracy is older, deeper, more elaborate, and more awful than you may imagine. Truthers are unwittingly but effectively covering up the ugly facts with their ridiculous fairy tales.

Yes, fairy tales. Because the plot makes absolutely no sense. Let's say I'm in a rogue element of the US government, and I want to convince this nation to go to war. Is this easy? By 2001, the American had proven itself completely willing to sign off on an attack or an intervention anywhere on the planet. It took a speech by the president, some CNN video, a couple of rallies, and several hundred gutless members of our Congress who didn't want to sit next to Dennis Kucinich during the next field trip. Yugoslavia, Panama, Libya, Grenada, Iraq, and other places you could readily list.

But I don't want to do things the easy way, the way proven to work. I want to kill thousands of Americans and expose myself to treason charges. I want to involve multiple US agencies in my secret plot. Because obviously these things don't reliably unravel when fixers and operatives make mistakes or talk to reporters - it's not like there's a history of that happening. Plus, let's bring in Osama. Sure, he's been attacking US citizens for years by now, but he wouldn't just reveal the plan later to embarrass me and my government. It's not in him. And even though I can get his people to fly planes into buildings and incinerate thousands, that's not good enough. I want to add an element to this scheme that will in no way make it more effective, but in many, easily-discernible ways make it impossible to keep secret. I want a controlled demolition in downtown Manhattan at a time when I know that the target will be observed and videoed by millions of people. But plant a chunk of uranium somewhere near Baghdad to make sure we don't look like violent jackasses afterward? Nah. Too much of a bother.

This laughable narrative of a shadowy government group that is simultaneously brilliant and stupid, lethally effective and completely inept, and will - because it doesn't really exist - always remain outside of view... it shields the culprits in a much larger horror show. It takes people who might otherwise discover the real story and sends them chasing down corridors after something they will never catch.

READ THE REST:
http://paulbibeau.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-911-truth-movement-is-part-of.html

6 replies, 1328 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply The 9/11 Truth Movement Is Part Of The Conspiracy (Original post)
paulbibeau Jan 2013 OP
libodem Jan 2013 #1
NoMoreWarNow Jan 2013 #2
paulbibeau Jan 2013 #3
paulbibeau Jan 2013 #4
NoMoreWarNow Jan 2013 #5
paulbibeau Jan 2013 #6

Response to paulbibeau (Original post)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 12:58 PM

1. Interesting take

I've ways felt something was fishy.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to paulbibeau (Original post)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 02:02 PM

2. 9/11 was much more than about starting some military action-- it was about a whole world wide war on

terror, a new surveillance state, new threats, building up the military industrial complex, creating a climate of fear, etc.

So your bit about a fairy tale is off base, imo.

I do agree the truth is far far uglier and deeper than most people want to think about, and it certainly verges into other conspiracy matters.

Nonetheless, there's little doubt there are cointelpro types within the 9/11 truth movement, and Jones is so ridiculous, he's likely one, and most hard core truthers have thought this for years.

Reply to this post

Response to NoMoreWarNow (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 01:21 PM

3. This is part of my problem with the truth movement though...

Alex Jones is ridiculous therefore Alex Jones is a CIA/FBI plant.

As opposed to Alex Jones is ridiculous therefore Alex Jones is ridiculous.

You see? There's no evidence that Jones is some kind of spy, is there? Any memos? Eyewitness testimony?

The speculations of the truth movement are infinitely elastic. Everything is evidence of the grand plot, even though the grand plot changes from person to person.

Ghost hunters and young earth creationists do the exact same thing.

Reply to this post

Response to paulbibeau (Reply #3)

Response to paulbibeau (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 07:59 AM

5. like most things in this realm, I doubt there is definitive proof of Jones being a plant

such as a receipt (!)-- but I know there have been some fairly long pieces written about him and presumably it is more than just speculation. The fact is, Jones has done some VERY suspicious things over the years, things that are not just being ridiculous. There is in fact so much out there on this, that it would take many many hours to go through it all.

Reply to this post

Response to NoMoreWarNow (Reply #5)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 08:33 AM

6. Okay, but do you have an example?

What is the best, most compelling piece of evidence you know of that Alex Jones is some kind of operative?

Not trying to be argumentative about it. But the idea that people have written long pieces about him doesn't impress me as proof of anything. This gets to my comparison of conspiracy theorists with ghost hunters... They take a bunch of weird phenomena, and rather than try to analyze it, they jump right ahead to the crazy explanation.

And I think it takes the air out of real dissent and skepticism toward our government's security and foreign policy. Dissent and skepticism that I think is necessary.

Let's borrow an idea from the evolution/creation debate: The appearance of order might be evidence of a design. But it might also be evidence of a collection of simple laws and rules that have created an orderly and intricate system.

Like... presidents are always under pressure to solve any crisis that appears on CNN.
And... people kind of rally around wars.
And powerful countries fill vacuums of power.
And... our country is kind of hypocritical about its policies, so policy-makers are forever using explanations for our actions that sound nice, but don't reveal the hard truths.
And... we need oil.

Etc.

You can build a whole world full of trouble with simple rules, good intentions, arrogance, and greed.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread