HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Offbeat » Creative Speculation (Group) » Remember the anthrax lett...

Thu May 31, 2012, 04:42 PM

Remember the anthrax letters and Steven Hatfill?

I could never understand anyone associated with the Rhodesian and South African white supremest governments getting a job with the US government. He claimed connection to the Selous Scouts - although this was denied by others.

Then I read "Cocktails Under the Tree of Forgetfulness" in which the author makes a casual reference to the use of anthrax as a bio-weapon by the white minority government against the black majority. Apparently, others have documented this:

From 1978-82, an epizootic of anthrax appeared in Rhodesia in the context of the Front War, where the minority European-controlled government fought a losing engagement against Maoist- and Soviet- backed African forces. Ultimately, they lost but not before South African-supported Selous Scouts engaged in biological and chemical weapons development. It is believed these activities in Rhodesia and similar incidents in Namibia were a research and development prelude to the South African Project Coast.

A documented 10,700+ human cases and an untold tens of thousands of cattle deaths were documented in Rhodesia at the time covering an estimated 200,000 km2. There were of course multiple unusual, non-routine epidemiological features documented at the time, not the least of which consideration of the prior baseline of case reporting in Rhodesia:

The transmission intensity at Beatrice Road was such that they saw all clinical forms of anthrax: cutaneous, inhalational, gastroenteric, septic, and meningitic.
Many notable anthrax experts provided their opinion of this event being a "perfectly natural" epizootic in the context of a collapsed veterinary infrastructure during the Front War. We disagree. Details to follow in an upcoming publication.

One of the strongly suspected perpetrators who worked with the Selous Scouts- a man we interviewed on several occasions- was bludgeoned to death this year by unidentified assailants.

http://biosurveillance.typepad.com/biosurveillance/2012/01/anthrax-in-rhodesia-during-the-front-war-1978-82-a-suspected-act-of-biological-warfare.html

Tin foil hat time: why did the US press ignore the Rhodesia/South Africa connections?

Did someone connected to the US government work top conceal Hatfill's role? I'm not suggesting a government policy, but rogue agents within a government agency.

3 replies, 1312 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Remember the anthrax letters and Steven Hatfill? (Original post)
hedgehog May 2012 OP
libodem May 2012 #1
Riftaxe Jun 2012 #2
jberryhill Jun 2012 #3

Response to hedgehog (Original post)

Thu May 31, 2012, 07:12 PM

1. Hmmmm?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jun 1, 2012, 06:47 PM

2. Anthrax outbreak in a 3rd world country...

Last edited Fri Jun 1, 2012, 09:19 PM - Edit history (1)

oh my what are the odds of that? That's almost as unusual as a cholera outbreak.

on edit: Zimbabwe (formerly Rhodesia) has several anthrax outbreaks every year, they are hardly uncommon.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 2, 2012, 08:29 AM

3. "We disagree"

I love that refutation of the independent assessments of actual anthrax experts. Very convincing that.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread